Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #1 
whiskandbowl

Betta has white fuzz

So I was adding a moss ball to my big tank and I moved the hood light to rest on top of Stumpy's Kritter Keeper and noticed he has some white stuff on him. You can't see it without a bright light. It's mostly around his gills and head and sides. I also noticed little iridesent patches, which I've never seen before (he's a plain red veiltail) They're hard to see, I can only see them when he turns juuust right.
Under his chin also looks pale. (though I don't often look at his chin area)

Velvet? Fungus? Is he going to be okay? Ah, I was just getting ready to rehome him

EDIT: Oh and it's not an even covering of fuzz, it's kind of patchy. Dunno if that's important or not but I thought I'd add it.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2/2.5 gallon. Medium Kritter Keeper
What temperature is your tank? 78*
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes, adjustable Elite heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon pellets and Omega one pellets. Freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets twice a day. One blood worm on Sundays

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Ever other day/ every 2 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime, sometimes Stress Coat. Been adding AQ salt to encourage his fin growth (he had them torn off by a female)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
It's not filtered/cycled, so I only tested for ammonia

Ammonia: 0.25ppm. Going to do a water change I guess, though I just did 100% yesterday night

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fuzzy stuff on body. Gills look pale

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None, still eats and swims fine. He just ate dinner (2 pellets)

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today (literally 5 min ago)

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Waiting to hear opinions on how to proceed

Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not really, just dealt with a bit of fin rot when regrowing his fins.

How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure. He was at the store for a while in a 3-4g tank. Then someone added a female who tore his fins off. I took him home and have had him since September.

Last edited by whiskandbowl; 12-05-2012 at 10:52 PM.
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Its not like sprinkled salt is it? A picture would be very helpful; a water change could be effective to rid of the ammonia. However, you don't have to do so many water changes; you could just stck with 2 100% per week. It sounds like fungus but it's very hard to tell without a picture. How long have you been treating him with salt? 10 days would be a good limit otherwise salt burns can occur. If it is fungus, you should run down to the store and pick up some fungus treatment. I used Kordon's Rid Ich Plus in April this year in my battle with Ich. It did the job well. Hope he gets better...
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #3 
whiskandbowl

It's definitely not ick, more fuzzy looking.

I would do just two 100% changes a week, but it doesn't seem right to make my fish sit in unsafe levels of ammonia.

When I first got him, I did a 10 day regimen of Aq salt then stopped. (1tsp per gallon). I was unhappy with how his fins have been looking recently, so I started using salt again. It's been about 4-5 days.

I'm not sure what it is, which is why I posted. Any ideas are appreciated. I did pick up some Tetra Fungus Guard, which I will probably end up using. I just wanted to see if anyone had any insight first.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #4 
whiskandbowl

Welp, I ended up using Tetra Fungus Guard for him. Any advice is still appreciated, but I'm hoping he improves soon.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #5 
callistra

That's some hard core meds.. Watch him carefully. It's REALLY harsh, but if it's a fungus it should do the job.. It even contains a non-medicine toxic chemical with warning to humans and used in industrial applications
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #6 
whiskandbowl

Ugh, really? Great I didn't want to leave him sitting around with the fungus but I wasn't getting many replies amd I was getting desparate. He seems to be doing okay. I'll probably do a water change

EDIT: Did a water change. I'm not seeing as much white fuzzy stuff, but now can see more iridescence, which I'm afraid might be velvet

Ideas? I really don't want to hurt him

Last edited by whiskandbowl; 12-07-2012 at 10:29 PM.