Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #1 
syds mom

Question about Syd epsom salt or not

On another post I was having problems with Syd. He was staying at the top of tank constantly gulping air. No health problems at for a year and a few days ago this started. Lethargic,not moving at all,gulping air and not eating. Water in tank was fine, temp good . Well I moved him to hospital tank and desperately needing to do something but not knowing what I was dealing with I started him on Kanaplex. Now he seems to still hang at top but not gasping as much and he has ate frozen Brine shrimp today. YEA!!
Now hear is the question, would epsom salt help if I used it after the last treatment of meds.
I dont want to over medicate especially if I cant figure out what Im dealing with. He was almost completely gone but now he is at least eating .
syds mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #2 
callistra

You can safely leave him on a Kanaplex treatment for up to 2 weeks. I would just stick with that as long as it's working. Even if he seems fine after a week, it wouldn't hurt to continue to medicate a few days past when he seems well to keep a relapse from happening.

Also, in the meantime make sure you're continuing to feed the original tank so the cycle doesn't crash.. and I'd be doing a lot of large water changes up to 90% in there too to make sure nothing got randomly into the tank.. unless you have some carbon to run. I'd do that too.. he looked fine other than his odd behavior.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #3 
syds mom

Thank you. Thats what I will do. I wasnt sure whether to keep medicating or not , without knowing what Im treating.
syds mom is offline   Reply With Quote