Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #1 
sunstar93

Black spot on tail?

So my new betta, Toby, has a beautiful tail! Not gonna lie lol. He's a green delta tail male with an olive green and gold overlay. And ever since putting him in a divided 10 gallon....he's begun to tail bite :( I've no where else to put him and he's ruining his tail!
Well, one bite mark is kinda deep into his tail and on one side of the mark, there's a big black patch....does anyone know what this is?? I'll try to get a picture up later
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

A picture will definitely help.

Being in a divided tank is not for every betta. My DT did the same thing, while my HM doesn't. I only divide tanks for females now because there seems to be a lot less stress! Do you have a back up tank for the second male? Try removing him to another tank, and let him heal. He may also perk up and stop biting his fins. Warm, clean water is the answer - plus remaining stress free :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #3 
sunstar93

Well for the next month I'm not going to have access to my extra tank (I'm home for Christmas break). When I set up the tank at my house a couple hours ago, I made his side a little smaller, hoping it would help...the waters getting warmer and I put in a little AQ salt (about 5 tsps for 10 gallons).
I'll get a pic tomorrow, although it looks like he bit through the black part...
Old 12-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Was the black spot near the end of the tail? If so I've seen some dark colored bettas who get that when they tail bite.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #5 
sunstar93

Yeah it was near the end of his tail...but it has since been bitten off! (the spot I mean lol)
Old 12-08-2012, 07:08 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Well, I think the best you can do is make sure the water is clean, and warm plus keeping him on a good diet to help :) hopefully you can get the other tank up and going for him soon, as I believe he is just stressed form being in a divided tank. I often find divided tanks hard because some bettas do not like it.