Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #11 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bacteria only eat liquad waste not physical. A aquariu is not even close to a balanced ecosystem. Fpr a ten gallon that is overstocked do a 75 perecent.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #12 
Reefing Madness
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Bacteria only eat liquad waste not physical. A aquariu is not even close to a balanced ecosystem. Fpr a ten gallon that is overstocked do a 75 perecent.
Then what breaks down the fish poop?
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Those should not be able to breakdown in tanks Fungus can break it down. Now Walstrad method cuts down on water changes extremely.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #14 
Reefing Madness
Banned

Hmm, and Fungus turns the poop into Ammonia then?
Old 12-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have seen plenty of fungus break down stuff even in water.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #16 
Reefing Madness
Banned

Ah, but you stated as fact that Bacteria does not break down physical waste. I say it does, and was just trying to get you to see it.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #17 
xobettaox

Okay, first of all, thanks for the replies. I'm a complete noob and it really helps a lot.

So no more 100% water changes, got it. I'm also upgrading to a 50 gal tank tomorrow. It is from one of my boyfriend's friends who had it for years -- so should it be cycled even though it's been scrubbed and cleaned out? Or does that mean the cycle has to start over? Also, how do I go about setting it up? Meaning even though it is or was a cycled tank should I try to get the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels at a certain level before adding the fish? What maintenance does a 50 gal tank need?

Are there more compatable fish with Bettas than tetras? I was thinking of getting 3 more similar fish so I'll have 6 with the Betta. Would this be overstocked? Any better suggestions?

I was using the salt with the water changes because that's what the guy at PetCo told me I needed to do, but I will stop doing that.
xobettaox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #18 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The cycle in that 50g was destroyed in the cleaning. You'll have to start over. Your choice as to how to proceed with the new cycle. If I were doing it, I'd set-up, decorate, plant and stock the tank. Then change water 10/20 gallons weekly while running the filter as high as the fish can handle, the tank at 82* with aeration from an airstone or sponge filter. Stock the tank lightly and gradually.
OR
Run the tank in normal configuration (with weekly water changes as above) and temperature while cycling your filter in a smaller tank or bucket. This method is faster and provides an excess of nitrifying bacteria should you choose to stock the tank heavily.

Oh...in a tank that size, I'd always run a sponge filter in addition to any mechanical filter you may use. Good for the bacteria and good for non-Betta inhabitants.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #19 
shellieca
Reference Team

I have to respectfully disagree a little with hallyx on this. I would set up the tank as suggested, put the 10g filter on the 50g in addition to the 50g filter or take the filter media & put it in the filter for the 50g. I would also use everything I could substrate, decorations, plants from the 10g in the 50g. I realize 100% water change has been done but by the time the 50 is set up there should be some new BB built up & it'll help at least a little in the 50. I would test the water daily & do water changes as required, if ammonia/nitrites are >.25 or nitrates >40. The 50g won't be cycled so water changes will most likely be needed more than once a week. Just my thoughts.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #20 
Hallyx
Reference Team

No disagreement at all, Shellie. That's very good advice. Always add whatever potentially live-bacteria-bearing media, substrate or decor you may have available. That makes cycling fish-in a safe and practical alternative.

I did not infer the OP had access to an established tank, is all.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote