Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #11 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Marimo grows well in cold water. Adding a little aquarium salt benefits them. Planted aquariums sold me a tennisball sized Riccia Fluitan for ten dollars and I got a golf ball sized one. Most of the plants I ordered were in terrible shape. My Cardinal Plant Arrived healthy. Arizona Aquatic Gardens has some outrous shipping prices and some of the stuff is overpriced but great selection. In my Area you can get a 2-3 inch Marimo and Anarchis for 13.00$.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #12 
callistra

Okay, I'll look into all this thanks :)

The moss balls are just bizzare.. it's like they died from the inside out during shipping. :S
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Thats a bummer...nothing worse than receiving dead/half dead plants-especially after spending a lot of money-then the excitement of getting them to setup a new system...dang.....I hope you contacted them and they will do you right by either sending you more plants or giving you a refund.

I have only ordered plants online once-but that was many, many years ago and in the spring-They arrived healthy. I ordered from a different company-can't remember the name off hand....lol...

If you have any local aquarium clubs-this is a great place to get live plants. Usually you don't have to be a member and even if the club isn't near you-usually a member will be...... its worth a try....either google search or look in the back of most of the aquarium magazine for a list. If you don't have aquarium mag or find anything online-I can look it up for you-but I will need your state.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If you have a Pet store they should have plants.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #15 
callistra

I have a local pet store but their elodea is not in good shape and they don't have moss balls as big as I'd like, but I did get two very nice smaller ones from there.

I'm in Kansas OFL Thanks! My moss balls are toast.. they're a disaster.. but looks like most thin type elodea is going to bounce back. What I've saved does have some brown on it but it's mostly green. A lot of the thicker type elodea is definitely not going to make it (stems are even dark brown to black) but there are a few green bits growing off them I'm trying to see if they'll grow back.. I rinsed them off but they all dropped a TON of crap into the tank when I put them in today. I have a prefilter sponge catching most of it then I think I can use a turkey baster to get a lot of the obvious leaves on the bottom but if I don't get every little thing is it going to be a big deal? There's a lot of little fuzzy stuff from those moss balls.. what a mess :S This is the first time I've done a proper job with plants. Have moss balls successfully but sucked at banana and amazon sword when I was first starting.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #16 
sandybottom
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Well my $50 shipment from aquariumplants.com just came in..

I ordered two XXL moss balls and a few bunches of anacharis..

Most of the Anacharis is black :( There are a few really healthy looking green stems but overall I'm worried they're not going to bounce back. Maybe they got too cold in the 48 hours of shipping?

The moss balls.. Well one has a giant hole in it and inside is totally hollow.. a bunch of rotting brown mess is inside. In fact they turned my 1 gallon quarantine bowl OPAQUE BROWN. The other ball doesn't have a hole but it's also hollow. There are lots of brown dead spots on outside of it too... I can squish to about half its size. Is this normal? I've only had smaller 1-2" balls before and they are not hollow.

I'm thinking I'm looking for a different place to buy plants..
the hollow moss balls are normal.when they get large,this will happen.brown goo is normal too.you did say xxl,right? usually at this life stage in the wild they would break apart and start new marimo. and the anacharis froze. were there no heat packs available?
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:35 AM   #17 
callistra

No heat packs were offered or included.

Well I asked another person on this forum who is from Asia and get his XXL moss balls at a local market and his are not hollow and no brown goo so not so sure..
Old 12-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If you live in America or out of Asia shipping would be a nightmare.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #19 
sandybottom
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
No heat packs were offered or included.

Well I asked another person on this forum who is from Asia and get his XXL moss balls at a local market and his are not hollow and no brown goo so not so sure..
they only get to 10- 12" max in the wild,they eventually break down into smaller marimo.his eventually will too. you can treat them with salt water for the brown spots. if the one is falling apart, you may just want to divide it. lots of youtube footage for this. let the other people do the trial and error, right? if you want your marimo to grow faster you can put it in it's own bowl of club soda(not safe for fish). this increases it's corbon exchange. guess you have a chance for a bunch of baby marimo. the brown spot is probably from freezing also. you will be able to tell, as it will not recover. but give the salt bath a try.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #20 
majesticstorm

As stated before, planted aquariums is a great place to get plants. I actually ordered a tennis ball-sized and a giant sized moss ball from them a few weeks ago and they came to me in perfect condition, all green and lush. :3
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote