Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #1 
xtcking

New betta owner!

Hey there, I`m brand new around here and looking to get my new betta (hopefully crowntail) next week. I use to have some as a child, but its been 15 years.

I`m looking at getting a 3 gallon tank. having a couple silk pants, a decoration he can use as a cave and hide and maybe another small ornament.

now I figure the tank will need to be cleaned and brand new water put in every 5-7 days?

now Im thinking perhaps after a few weeks once hes adjusted I may add some tank mates. My main question is, if you add snails or ghost shrimp how does that effect the cleanliness of the my tank and betta?
xtcking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Welcome to the forum!

A 3 gallon is really too small for anythign but a betta. The bio-load would accumulate too fast. The minimum would be a 5 gallon which would only house a snail or a a shrimp. A 10 gallon would give you more options and as you get bigger and bigger the options start to become more diverse. A 3 gallon would be cleaned every week or so but just check in the betta fish care section the sticky thread called Old Fish Lady's water change recommendations. :) Good luck and welcome.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #3 
xtcking

Thank you! ill take that into consideration when I buy a tank!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #4 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
I agree with LeoTheLakerBetta. I think while he is young he can be in a 1 gallon but when he gets older he would need at least a 2 gallon.

Also, does the decoration have rough edges? If so, please don't buy it. It will tear your betta's fins.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #5 
xtcking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy314 View Post
I agree with LeoTheLakerBetta. I think while he is young he can be in a 1 gallon but when he gets older he would need at least a 2 gallon.

Also, does the decoration have rough edges? If so, please don't buy it. It will tear your betta's fins.
Oh no of course not. I've already ready a couple guides on here. My bettas tank will be at minimum 3 gallons for his final home (and that's assuming he's alone)
Ill also have silk instead platic plants
Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

I never had mates for my bettas so not sure how big the tank should be for shrimp and betta. But just want to give my recommendations for one betta. I have 2.5 gall tanks and 5 gall tanks. I do weekly water changes. I am personally not cycling any of my tanks. For me, cycling is pain. If you don't cycle then you don't really need a filter. And if you have filter you need to make sure it not too strong for your betta .

I am going to post for you a few links. One link is about water changes for different tank size, another is if you ever decide to cycle.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Also when you buy artificial plants make sure you buy silk ones just like you wrote. I don't recommend to buy plastic , because they can be sharp and betta can damage his fins.
If you ever buy live plants always quarantine it for a few weeks in the water with NO water conditioner. Plants can carry disease.
If you ever introduce shrimp to his tank make sure you quarantine it for a few weeks to make sure he don't carry disease. Even with betta i always quarantine new fish. So you don't end up disinfecting tank and plants , and gravel.
Even with betta. Be ready some time or a lot of the time there is a chance to get sick betta. So when you go to the store i guess try to pich the healthy one. Make sure it active and not laying on the bottom, swimming one one side, bloated, only visible symptoms on the body, cloudy eye, open gill, sores on the body. Bettas are pretty active fish even in those little cups.
I also really recommending to buy Aquarium salt in the pet store. And Epsom salt at any pharmacy. Both have antibacterial/fungal effect and can be used as fires aid.
Water conditioner- Prime by Seachem is really one of the best. Just in case you have ph problem, or ammonia in your water i am really recommending Prime as water conditioner. Also i would recommend stress coat. I am personally don't use stress coat. I don't have any problem with my water. But stress coat also can protect fish from infections and help when betta is sick. A lot of people on the forum recommending it.
Also always make sure when you introduce betta to the new water acclimate him . New water should be approximately the same temperature as him. If it 2-4* different if fine. You will just slowly add new water to his water in his cup let him sit in it for a few minutes then do it again for 2-3 times - this way he will get used to the new temperature/chemistry.
So you need a thermometer. I am really recommending the ones that you can stick outside fo the tank. I love them they show temp difference really fast as you changing the water .
I also really recommending to check the heater before you put betta in. Make sure it not overheating and sometimes i read people have problems with heaters leaching something in the water. So i would definitely check if overnight to see if everything is fine. And again be careful when you put new betta make sure you don't shock him with drastic temp difference.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #7 
xtcking

hey Thanks for all the info!

I went with a 5 gallon tank. picked up some pellet food. a great heater! ( you can set it to a certain temp and it keeps it there.) all the stuff. all I need now is plants some decorations and my new fish! which ill be picking up Tuesday! the only reason I didnt get plants was cause I wasnt sure how much space I was going to be able to dedicate to it. but now that its open and and sitting where it will be displayed I can see where I want to put things.

does anyone have thoughts on a kind of betta? just going by a couple pics. veiltail and crowntail look the coolest to me.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #8 
Jessa24

I have a crowntail now...my avatar. He is gorgeous! I had a veiltail for two years before he died on me I also think halfmoon bettas are beautiful.
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

My avatar has a veil tail and a crown tail in it.. I want to get a half moon now lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtcking View Post
does anyone have thoughts on a kind of betta? just going by a couple pics. veiltail and crowntail look the coolest to me.
I think it's all just a matter of personal preference. Pick the one that you like the best!

(Or, pick the one that picks YOU out. Because sometimes, it seems like that. LOL)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote