Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #1 
Haseo

Emergency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!! My Betta jumped out of his tank somehow!!!!! I dont know how long hes been out of water!!!!!! He was all dried up on the floor but hes still alive!!! Im freaking out I have him in a shallow bowl so he can breathe easy what do i do!!!!!
Haseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #2 
DiiQue

Keeping calm is the first thing (I know, easier said than done). I know what happend must have been traumatic for you both. You did the right thing by putting him back into shallow water.. May take some time, but just monitor his progress tonight. Does he have any visible injury marks - if so, put some AQ salt to help heal him? Also, if you have stress coat, put that in so his slim coat gets restored. It will take time, but chances are if he survives through the night the worst should be over... I've read many stories of bettas jumping out and thought dead only to live once back in some clean, warm water.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #3 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
Whoa, whoa, whoa! calm down!

Bettas can stay up to 15 minutes without water. do you know how long yours was out?

Also, I don't mean to offend you but you really shouldn't use too many words and less punctuation. people will think you're screaming like a maniac.

Just stay calm and everything should be fine as long as you follow the member's instructions. I don't know how to help you, but I'll give you the tips on my post.
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #4 
Haseo

I think hes just exhausted I dont see any physical damage but his fell probably 4ft
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #5 
Haseo

I dont know how long hes been out I just watched a movie and i walked by the tank and i didnt see him so i thought he might be somewhere sleeping so i started looking for him. He is in a 15 gallon planted tank so i started freaking out cuz i couldnt find him so i pulled the driftwood out of the tank and I still couldnt find him then i slid the tank out and i saw him on the floor
Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #6 
Haseo

He does have some damage on his back, I noticed a few scales missing. He lays almost on his side and is still lifting his head up to breathe. I have some epson salt will that work and how much to i put for 1in of water in a small bowl???
Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #7 
callistra

You need to dissolve a measured amount in a gallon and then use that to do water changes in the bowl.

Epsom salt isn't the same thing as aquarium salt, though it does have some mild antibacterial properties. For something like that where he's already super stressed I wouldn't heavy hit him. I'd start at like 1/4 tsp per gallon and just see how he reacts to that much.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #8 
Haseo

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
You need to dissolve a measured amount in a gallon and then use that to do water changes in the bowl.

Epsom salt isn't the same thing as aquarium salt, though it does have some mild antibacterial properties. For something like that where he's already super stressed I wouldn't heavy hit him. I'd start at like 1/4 tsp per gallon and just see how he reacts to that much.
Ill give that a try. I dont even want to go to sleep im so worried Ive had him over a year now I really love the little guy.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #9 
DiiQue

You're doing good.. Just continue to monitor the situation. Do you have API Stress Coat on hand? That would help along with the salt. I'd defer to the more experienced members whether or not epsom salt would be useful in your case, as I've read you use that for internal troubles.. Do you think he's on his side due to having only an inch of water in the bowl (too little water and they can have issues righting themselves)?
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #10 
NeptunesMom

I have no medical advice, but wanted to say when I was little we had a tornado come through, and in the commotion my betta got knocked to the ground. I do not know how long he was out of the water, but he was out until the storm passed. My mom thought he was dead so she scooped him up in toilet paper and threw him back into the little bit of water remaining. He started swimming around. He lived 5 years, and that was probably about 1 year into us having him. They are resilient little fish. I felt awful when I found out what happened years later. I never knew his bowl had fallen. But, again, the moral is they are tougher little guys. Good luck. I bet he will be fine. Especially when you are taking such an active role in his recovery.

Last edited by NeptunesMom; 12-07-2012 at 10:55 PM.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote