Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2012, 02:08 AM   #1 
Jessa24

Question 10 gal tank too much?

Hello everyone! Well...I have had Splash now for a whole week. I had been thinking about getting him a new tank so I did. I went to Petco and was going to just get like a 5 gal, but guess what I did? I ended up buying a 10 gal tank. It was a good deal. It has a 50 watt heater and a whisper filter with hood and LED lights.

Anyway I bought him a few extra silk plants for him and I put 15 lbs of gravel in there. I got everything up and running and acclimated him to his new tank. He seems fine...he is active, checking everything out. He is kind of flaring at some stuff too. He likes the current from the filter.

I am just so nervous because this is a new heater, the tetra 50 watt submergible one and I have no experience with it. My thermometer says 76-78 and the water feels fine. I keep checking it and him. I am also so nervous because I hope the 10 gal doesn't overwhelm him. He was in a 3 gal before. He just seems even more active than before. Is thay normal? Do you think he is just adnusting to all this new space?

Do you think he will be okay in a 10 gal? Is it too much space for him? Has anyone used this kind of heater before? Yay or Nay? Thanks for any advice!
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:37 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

I'm sure he will love the 10 gallon. However, in my opinion - they seem to like it better if there are alot of plants to hide in/swim around then if the tank is bare with just one tiny plastic plant. Are any of the plants you bought tall? I find that at night they like to have something near the surface to rest on. If you can do live plants - there are some floating plants that will work. It has been my esperience that will they are OK in smaller tanks, they do alot better in larger ones - more active, more colorful

As for the heater- I have a tetra preset heater and mine can't even heat up a 1 gallon bowl to above 74, so my vote is NAY. I would just keep an eye on it.

If the filter current gets to be too much - most my guys do not like it - you can biy filter foam made for an aquaclear filter and put it where the water flows out of the tank. Actually you can use the foam in place of the filter cartridge that came with it-just stuf it inside the filter- instead of replacing it every month, just swish it off 2 or so times a month in old tank water. it will start to look gross - but thats the way you want it. If you replace the cartridge every month like they claim to do - you are tossing out the bacteria you WANT to keep.

I usually get the one for 50-70 gallon tanks and just cut it, if i need too.

Also do you know about the nitrogen cycle? If not, save yourself the headache and read the stickies about it in the accessories forum. I didn;t know about it with my first betta
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #3 
callistra

If he won't stop flaring at his reflection you can put some nonreflective paper on the sides. He sounds like he's enjoying the room though. I would put a prefilter sponge on the intake tube though so he can't accidentally have an accident with it..

There's a guide in this forum to fish in cycling that you should check out :)

I would get a more reliable adjustable heater, but it's definitely not too much. My favorite is Aqueon Pro but Jager is good too.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #4 
shellieca

LOVE a male in a 10g! I have 3 males in individual 10g tanks with a mystery snail each. 2 of my guys are all over the place, one is less active but they love their 10g tanks. My tanks have been running quite a while & I still check their temps at least once a day to make sure the heaters are working, filters too.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #5 
Nothingness

i went from a 3g to a 10g about a month ago. For the first few days Arthur was swimming at the back of the tank all the time flaring at his reflection in the glass. I solved this by getting one of those stick on backgrounds and it immediately did the trick. It took a week or so for him to get used to the space and since I have made it a planted tank and changed stuff up a few times for him. There are lots of hiding places in there for him. Be aware that you betta may become a tail biter with all this new found space if the filter is too strong
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I vote higher temp that stays stable.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #7 
Myates

He sounds as if he is doing fine in the 10g - some bettas prefer smaller tanks, and some should be in smaller tanks with extra large fins.. I have a male that has such big/heavy fins he spends most of his time laying on his plants sideways.. doesn't swim his 5 gallons. But if your guy is swimming around and exploring then he doesn't seem to be having an issue with the size and is just fine.

As for the heater - I have a couple preset Tetra heaters for 2-15 gallons and they work fine in both 2 gallons and 10 (have one in my plant tank that's 10g). The temp stays at 78 without any problem.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am still convinced those Bettas that prefer smaller tanks are very very rare.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #9 
Jessa24

Thanks so much for easing my mind and I will definitely keep an eye on the filter's current. For now it doesn't seem to be bothering him. The heater seems to be working great. It has maintained a constant temp of 78 but I will also keep an eye on it as I would any heater. He was flaring up bad last night at his reflection but he is beginning to settle down on that. I do have some nice tall silk plants in there he enjoys. Although I am thinking of getting a couple more and another cave like structure. Overall I think he likes it.
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

He is probably still setting up his Territory.