Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2012, 11:23 PM   #1 
wah543

Betta acting weird after changing tank

So while I was changing the water in my tank earlier this week on Tuesday and it slipped out of my hand and shattered. I put my betta in a temporary small tank from petco and on Wednesday I went to buy a new tank but I didn't have enough money for the same tank so I bought a smaller one. The one I had that broke was 2 gallons and the one I got was 1 gallon. Wednesday and yesterday he seemed fine, but when I came home today he seemed really inactive and not acting like himself, does it usually take longer for them to get used to a different tank or something?
wah543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #2 
bryanacute

That sounds like most of mine. After moving them into a bigger/smaller tank, they seem stressed for about 2-3 days then get used to it and seem to say no biggy. If he doesn't get active and swim then that could be something more serious than just adapting to his new (smaller) home.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

One of my bettas warmed up quickly to his new tank and I woke up to a bubble nest the next morning which he had never done.. My other one flared at anything and everything for about 3 days. They are all different and he most likely just needs time to adjust.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #4 
wah543

Oh ok thanks guys I'll watch him over the next few days or so and see if anything changes
wah543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #5 
jsgossamer

Is the size of the tank the only difference? Is the tank filtered? A smaller unfiltered tank will need more frequent water changes. Also, I have noticed that some fish just dont do well in plastic tanks vs. glass for some reason.
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

I had a female I had to QT, she went from a 46g to a 10g & she was NOT happy about the change. Some of them are like that, don't like change. You don't have it filtered do you? IME, a filter on anything less than 5g usually doesn't go well with a Betta. What's the water temp? That can cause them to be lethargic as well if its too low.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote