Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #1 
Syriiven

Question Plecos/Loaches in 10g betta tank

Does anyone have experience with smaller species of loaches or plecos that are NOT aggressive but won't exceed 5"?

I've been looking into mystery snails and betta compatibility, and it seems 50/50 depending on the betta's personality which I just don't know yet since I'm buying him/them tomorrow too.

My original plan was two split the 10g with a betta and nerite to each side. Unfortunately my LFS stores don't have any nerite snails...

And I'm just not interested in ghost shrimp or schooling fish.

My main concern is that I'm adding live plants, and though the tank isn't in direct sunlight ever, I don't want algae to be a problem.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

I really don't know about this, but my brother has 2 loaches, a pleco and a Molly in his ten gallon tank and they seem to get along fine, although some male bettas are extremely aggressive towards everything so you'll have to see. It's hard to tell when they're in little cups. I'd love to have a sorority tank if I ever get a ten gallon :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #3 
Syriiven

Well we're going tomorrow and I need to be able to recognize which species is what cuz the stores make mistakes all the time. I was excited about two bettas but I mean...I don't know. Maybe I'll just order nerites. -sigh- Just not enough room in my apartment for all the tanks to have it both ways.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #4 
DragonFish

Kuhli Loaches are the smallest loaches I know of, but they still get to be about four inches and like groups so that'd probably be a bit much for a 10 gallon. They're not particularly interesting anyway, the ones I always had I NEVER saw.
Clown Plecos are the smallest species I know of, they get about 4-5ish inches I believe. My uncle gave me one a few years ago, and he was a darling little thing. However, you REALLY got to know how to identify them or else you'll end up with a baby common, which, unless you're planning on a 75+ gallon tank in the near-ish future, would be bad news.

However, since your plan is to split this tank in half for two bettas, stocking-wise you're going to sort of have to treat it like two separate 5 gallons. That means it narrows your options down to snails, shrimps, or maybe an ADF or two on each side with your bettas.

If your LFS is a specialty store or a local mom&pop sort of deal, ask for the manager and see if maybe they can order a couple of Nerites for you, or if you're up to it you can probably order online.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #5 
Syriiven

Yea that's what I'm going to do. Kind of got my heart set on adding two new betta to the family. And there won't be a ton of algae from the start, so I'm sure I can manage fora few months if that is what it takess.

Thanks for answering ^^
Old 12-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #6 
DragonFish

Sure thing. :) Good luck with your plans! Can't wait to see pictures! xD
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #7 
Syriiven

I posted a new betta thread in the Betta Pictures forum and am uploading the newest (not final) tank set up to my diary/albums =) Gotta make Seiya and Kalec's albums now too! =D Eeee~ so excited to have them home!