Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2012, 01:36 AM   #1 
Wildhorse

Unhappy why my betta die?

I just got my betta about 2 weeks ago, and well wednesday he was sick he had white stuff on his fins and he wouldnt eat well i got some ick guard and stress coat that same day well i used some and yesterday when i checked on him he still had some white stuff on his fins treated him again, today it was gone and he was looking a little perky well i went to the store got a thermomiter when i got home i placed it in his tank he seemed ok well a while later go back in to check on the temp and him and hes dead idk why, i never have luck with them i give up on them i just wish i knew why he might of died any ideas? i know i changed him to a new tank day before yesterday he seemed happy going from a 1/2 gallon tank to a 2 gallon tank
Wildhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #2 
jsgossamer

Its hard to say. He was probably already sick when you got him from the petstore. It could have been too stressful changing tanks when he was already sick. A lot depends on the type of water used, temperature, etc.
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #3 
shellieca

+1. Sometimes illnesses don't show up immediately. It doesn't sound like he had Ich based on your description so unfortunately he probably wasn't treated for the correct Illness. Do some research to ensure you're providing the best possible care & environment then get another Betta. Keep learning & your care will improve & your Bettas will live happy & healthy lives.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

I'm sorry for your loss. One of mine died last night, too. Like you, I did everything I could think of to save him. But it's often difficult to know what they need. It would be much easier if they could tell us specifically what's wrong!.... The only thing I can suggest if that if you ever have another sick fish, go to the Diseases and Emergencies forum, and fill out one of the information sheets. Include photos, if possible. The more info you give, the more people may be able to help you determine what's wrong and how to treat it.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #5 
Myates

White on his fins most likely he had fungus... sorry you lost him, sadly it happens all too often when you purchase fish.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

A new envirement can be stressful so that weakened his immune system which can be fatal to a sick Betta.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #7 
Wildhorse

thnks for all the answers, im gonna take a break for a while on bettas i never have good luck with them i will continue with reasearch though and maybe in the future i will know enough to feel comfortable getting another betta, I know i probably shouldnt of changed him in a new tank, i just felt it was what he needed, when i saw him in his other tank he didnt look happy i know he was sick but he just seemed also stressed about the size it was he did seem to perk up a tiny bit in his new tank, may my little buddy Mr.Bubbles rest in peace
Wildhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would next time stick with the 2 gallons and choose the healthiest Betta they have.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

You said you got him two weeks ago. Was it from a petstore like Petco or PetSmart? If so, they have a 14 day live pet guarantee, that allows you to get either a replacement or a refund.

I went in today with my receipt because my fish died after just a week. They offered me a replacement or refund. I wasn't going to take a new fish, but then I started looking at the selection. The employee helped me pick one out. He's acclimating right now.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Mine has a thirty day guarentee.