Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #1 
Fifi

Betta laying at bottom of tank after changing tanks

Two days ago I moved my betta from a 2.5 g to a 5.5g. I used all the old water plus new treated water I would use for water changes. The small tank temp was 74 the new temp around 75 at the switch. I have warmed it a bit to 78. Oscar seemed fine for the first few hours but then just started sitting at the bottom, sometimes even laying on his side. He occasionally comes up for air. Before he was very happy and active. I checked ammonia, nitrite, etc. all look fine. He ate the day after the change two pellets in the am. I usaually fast him once a week so have not fed him yet. His behavior is really troubling. Should I put him back in the old tank? Could he just be overwhelmed by the change? Anybody had a similar experience? Please help.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Are you using a liquid test kit or strips for your water tests? Is the filter current too strong? Do you have plenty of plants real or silk & cave structures?its only been a couple of days so he may just needed a little more time to adjust.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #3 
Fifi

Betta at bottom

I use test strips for the chlorine, nitrite, nitrate, PH. Liquid drops for the ammonia levels. I had not filtration in the small tank, and have not yet hooked up his new filter in this tank. I was having problems assembling it. Wasn't sure if that would upset him more. I put his two plastic & silk plants, and a little bridge in the new tank. I put everything in the same positions as in the old tank. This morning I added a little pagoda, thinking maybe he feels too exposed. He is still on the bottom.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Hmmmm, I'm sorry I don't have more to offer. I had a Betta that reacted badly when I transferred him from his cup to a 1g, he literally would be floating on the top like he was dead, I'd put him back in the cup & he'd be fine, put him back in the 1g & within 24 hrs he was floating like he was dead. After doing this a few times he was fine in the 1g. He's now in a 10g with no problems. Sometimes they're odd that way but eventually adjust. I'd give him some more time, someone else may have some different advice.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #5 
Fifi

Thank you. I really appreciate any info that may be helpful. I really don't think he is sick, but I don't think this behavior is healthy either!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #6 
callistra

Maybe something got into the new tank. Did you rise everything really well including the tank before setting it all up? I would try moving back to his old bowl and rinsing everything really well and starting over if he's laying on his side on the bottom and is non responsive.. is he at least eating?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #7 
Fifi

Betta at the bottom

Yes, I think I rinsed everything thoroughly. I used his old rocks and added some more(rinsed, of course), his old plants, not rinsed. I hate to freak him out agin by moving him if it is just an adjustment problem. He did eat yesterday. I didn't feed today. I usually fast him once per week.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #8 
Fifi

He does go up for air. But he will not interact with people at all. He just sits or lays still then goes to the top for air every now & then.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #9 
Ilikebutterflies

One of my girls started acting like that in a fully cycled tank. I turned the heat up to around 88 degrees for a week then back down to 82. She's fine now so maybe it was the first sign of something and we squashed it by raising the tank temp.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #10 
callistra

Are you using a thermometer to monitor temps are did you just set the heater and assume it's right? Also you have to be careful to make sure you only click it up a degree or two an hour or acclimate very slowly by floating in a cup. It could be a temp thing if there is nothing foreign in the tank.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote