Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #11 
Fifi

I do use a thermometer. I don't know how fast the temp rose from 74 or so to 78, but it has been two full days since then. I figured that if I started lowering the temp it might just make things worse. Also, it would seem quite a coincidence that he came down sick right after I transferred him. I truly think it is related to the transfer
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #12 
Fifi

Betta laying a t bottom of tank

Yes I use a thermometer. I don't know how quickly the temp rose from 74 to 78, but since that was two full days ago I figured I may make things worse if I started changing the temp again. Also, I think it would be quite a coincidence if he came down sick right after the transfer. I truly think this is directly related to the transfer. Though his fins looked a little ragged. I don't know if the net could have damaged them slightly.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #13 
callistra

It doesn't sound like it was temp shock. So either there's something foreign in the water, or maybe he was on the border of something and the transfer stressed him enough to throw his immune system just enough for him to fully come down with it.

If your filter can run carbon, I'd do that. If it can't, consider large water changes leading up to 100% and adding some AQ might help. I wouldn't do anything more than that though. Just watch him.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #14 
Fifi

Update on Betta at the bottom

Just wanted to let ya'll know that this morning Oscar is acting his old self for the most part. Last night my husband was fiddling with the new heater & accidentally changed the temp to 75. Oscar's old tank was always 74 because the heater never really worked better than that. Now that the temp has decreased he stopped going to the bottom. I guess he doesn't care for the higher temp. Hallelujah! It's a Christmas miracle! Thank you all for your help!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #15 
shellieca
Reference Team

Ha! They're funny little creatures. Glad he's better.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #16 
callistra

That's so strange.. what thermometer are you using to measure the temp in his tank?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #17 
Fifi

Betta at the bottom

I am using one of those strips that you place on the glass. It is rather difficult to read. Also the new TopFin heater is very hard to read and adjust. Oscar is still active, interacting and not staying at the bottom. Yesterday he ate but than regurgitated his food. Today I gave him only one pellet, but I think it stayed down. I really think he did not like the higher temp.

Does anyone know a good low flow filter for a 5g tank? I turned on the TopFin that came with the tank. It is way too strong & not adjustable. I didn't want to make matters worse so I turned it off.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #18 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
I am using one of those strips that you place on the glass. It is rather difficult to read. Also the new TopFin heater is very hard to read and adjust. Oscar is still active, interacting and not staying at the bottom. Yesterday he ate but than regurgitated his food. Today I gave him only one pellet, but I think it stayed down. I really think he did not like the higher temp.

Does anyone know a good low flow filter for a 5g tank? I turned on the TopFin that came with the tank. It is way too strong & not adjustable. I didn't want to make matters worse so I turned it off.
I would get a "floating" thermometer, it actually attaches to the glass with a suction cup, more accurate than the strip. As for the filter, I have the same one, I cut up some pre-filter sponge & put into the filter intake arm, SLOWS the output considerably. Just don't stuff down in there too much otherwise it really stops the flow.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #19 
callistra

I agree you need a good glass in tank thermometer. It may be different temp than you realize.

I agree adding a prefilter sponge is a good idea. I use an aquaclear filter if that helps, but a prefilter will probably make the topfin ok.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #20 
beacon

This exact same thing happened to me yesterday.

I set up Frosty's new 2.5 gall tank and it was fine as far as I could tell. The temperature was 78 and he is used to 80, but I thought this would be ok. He has been in a .5 gall mini bow for over a week and I wanted him to have his new place.

He HATED it. Lay on the bottom, just like yours, and then would come up grab some air and sink back down. This went on for about 45 mins and I panicked and reset up his old little tank, dropped him in.

He still lay there for about 20 mins, his gills puffing in and out. However he soon recovered and went back to his usual self.

Could it be a mere 2 degree difference? Did he just have a fear reaction to the new tank and it's much larger size? I want to put him in the larger one but now don't know what to do.......
beacon is offline   Reply With Quote