Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #1 
cheeselog11

I gave my beta a new tank and its in the corner?

I bought my beta fish a new [bigger] tank and its in the corner? the old one was a 1 gal bowl and the new one is a 5.5 gal tank. I treated the water and let it be for 24 hrs and then put on the filter and let it run for 24 hrs before putting him in. I have added heater and I am wondering if the filter is creating a current it [the beta] doesn't like. I might unplug the filter to feed him. What else does my tank need? [I'll do my best to post a picture soon]
cheeselog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

Try baffeling the filter and see if it makes a difference.
Running the filter for 24 hours dosen't really do anything but it will start the nitrogen cycle which takes about a month to complete.

Also, do you have plenty of hiding places - like plants and a cave or something? Some bettas don't like big, empty spaces. I have some oversized silk plants and a house in my 5G and then an open area.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #3 
cheeselog11

TY for a reply so quickly Tikibirds
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #4 
Myates

Sometimes moving into larger tanks can be stressful on them - outside of the grow out tanks, they are in small spaces. So going into a bigger tank they may need some time to adjust.

You definitely want to get some plants and a cave for him - for both mental stimulation and to have the feeling of safety. A larger tank with no where to hide or nothing to rest on, nor anything to explore will have him just hanging around in one spot. Not very fun for you nor the fish.

Look to see if there is a valve to change the flow of the filter, if not you can use an aquarium sponge cut to fit into the outflow section of the filter to help reduce the current.

Would move the heater down and sideways, don't want the water to evaporate and expose the heater - a good way to get it to malfunction or even explode.
Or you can raise the water level close to the top and then you can leave the heater there.. if you have no hood then about 2-3 inches from the top is fine for the water level. No point in having a 5g with only 3g of water in it :)
You can purchase plastic crafting mesh from Walmart for cheap and use that as a lid - will allow light to come in, and you can raise the water level to the top.

Once he has plenty of plants and a cave he should become active once more.

Last edited by Myates; 12-21-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #5 
cheeselog11

What kind of plants should i get? [i heard i wanna get silk ones so they are easy on the fish] Where should i go to get the right plants store wise?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #6 
cheeselog11

I'm gonna run home on my lunch break and fix that heater like u suggested, TY for the advice Myates.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Also you NEED decoration.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #8 
OrangeAugust

Why is your water level so far below the filter? If the water level was even with the outflow of the filter, the water movement wouldn't be as strong.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bettas love live plants.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #10 
Jessa24

Okay I think you need to move your water level up some. Find something you can use as a lid soon because bettas can jump out. If the filter still bothers your betta use a sponge or baffle it. Also you need to get some plants...live plants are good but if you're like me that seems to kill every plant then just get some silk plants and you can get plastic but if so do the pantyhose test on them. Also get a couple things he can hide in...if you're on a tight budget you can go get a couple terra cotta pots for really cheap.
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote