Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #1 
Solaris

Question Is this a good tank?

Hi everyone!

I've had my eye on this 5 gallon.
http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Style-G.../dp/B0035HBFWM

My pet store has it on sale for $40. I couldn't really tell, but it looks like the filter is a hang-on-back kind. Would that be alright for my future betta? And would the suction on the filter suck his fins in?

I also noticed it doesn't come with a heater. Which doesn't matter since I'll just go buy one, but would it be problematic with the cover?

Also, this would be in my room. Would the filter be too loud for me to sleep?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure!
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

I am not sure if one of those filters would be suitable for a betta or not, I only ever use box/corner filters because you can adjust the air flow. Bettas are not great swimmers and do not like a strong current. As for being noisy I am not sure but you will find that you get used to the noise, when I first started running filters in my room they woke me up a bit for the first couple of night but once I got used to them if we ever had a power cut and the filters went off I couldn't sleep because it was too silent!

Umm with the heater cord you could maybe get someone to melt/drill a hole for the lead to go through the cover? Also if you found the filter was too strong you could get a box/corner filter for the tank (they are really cheap) and run the airline tubing through the heater cord hole. Just an idea, let us know what you decide, if you do get it I would love to see some photos of when it is all set up!
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #3 
emeraldmaster

AHEM, do not speak for us all vegie! i have a betta that does like strong filters... but that aside, other than price (scary), i think that it would be just fine. if you have a sensitive friend in the tank, than you can always put a baffle on the filter.
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #4 
Dameon

Most covers like that have serrations on the back where you can easily clip off or trim out parts for things like the power cord for the heater. Even if it didn't, it is just plastic so a few minutes with a drill and some clipper or a saw would fix that!

Filters of that style tend to be very quiet, but having never had one by that brand I couldn't say for sure. Some are just nosier than others. Noise level wise I would venture a guess it is probably about the same back-ground white noise hum as your computer running.
Dameon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #5 
CluelessBettaOwner

I think it looks good! You could always buffer the flow of the filter if it is too strong.
CluelessBettaOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #6 
Solaris

Thank you so much, everyone! I ended up buying that tank today. I've set it on its new spot, but I still need to purchase decorations, gravel and silk plants. And a heater of course!

I do have some blue gravel, but I think I've changed my mind. I saw some pictures of tanks with white or cream gravel and I thought it was really pretty. Especially since I don't know what colour my future Betta is going to be. (I had purchased the blue gravel especially for my red Betta, S.I.P.)
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote