Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2008, 01:56 PM   #1 
tran2255

Can Blue gouramis tolerate salt?

Hi everyone, I just have a question that I can't find the answer to online. I got a tank which I use to house some platies and ballon mollies. I'm thinking of adding some blue and opaline gouramis to the tank, but am worried about the salinity of my tank being a problem. As of now I have a 45 gal tank and add about a teaspoon of salt per gallon. Can gouramis tolerate this much salt? Will it be a problem? Thanks a lot everybody and i really appreciate your help.
tran2255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #2 
kevinoh33

im not an expert, but in petsmart the label says that gouramis NEED aquarium salt
kevinoh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #3 
Falina

Gouramis certainly do not need salt!

I wouldn't personally add them. Gouramis have a lower tolerance to salt than most FW fish, and long term it I can't imaine it would be very good for their health. Certainly for a short period, while trating for white spot for example, I think they would survive, but not long term.

Lesson #1 - take everything read/heard in pet stores with a pinch of salt (pun intended).
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #4 
kevinoh33

in petsmart, ever single gouami label says that they require aquarium salt.
most fish don't (says labels)
kevinoh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #5 
Oldman47

Just came home from one of those places a few minutes ago. The tank label that does not say requires aquarium salt is very rare at mine. That does not mean that I believe a word of it. It even says it on cory labels and they are known in most places to be sensitive to salt. (not the labels, the cories)
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #6 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Well, it's all marketing ploy and false information that all fish need aquarium salt. If the salt is added all the time, the fish will eventually weaken and become more vulnerable to diseases.

Tran, please stop dosing salt. Whoever told you adding salt prevents any disease is just wrong. You are only making them worse than feel better. The only time you should use salt is when treating for ich and other diseases requiring salt but I would not waste time and money for aquarium salt when you have a bottle of table salt in your kitchen.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:02 PM   #7 
tran2255

what about the mollies?

As of right now, I add salt for my ballon mollies, which if I'm correct, requires some salt. Do you guys think a gourami can withstand the levels of salt that i put in (1 tsp/gal)? if not, what can i do? should I eliminate the salt, then what about the mollies who supposedly thrive on salt?
Old 02-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #8 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Re: what about the mollies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tran2255
As of right now, I add salt for my ballon mollies, which if I'm correct, requires some salt. Do you guys think a gourami can withstand the levels of salt that i put in (1 tsp/gal)? if not, what can i do? should I eliminate the salt, then what about the mollies who supposedly thrive on salt?
Your mollies do not require salt unless they have been adapted to brackish water conditions which yours is not. Your gouramis will never tolerate the salt. Keep the salt away from your tank. Besides, for a brackish water environment, you are using the wrong salt. Marine salt and aquarium salt are different.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #9 
tran2255

hmmmm

i see... but doesn't salt help relax most fish? can a gourami tolerate my level of salt cuz i REALLY dont wanna refill my tank. if not, i guess i can scoop all of the water out and put fresh water in. do you suggest i do that?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #10 
Falina

I would have to say no. Gouramis and salt don't mix well I'm afraid.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote