Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #1 
sandrac8388

Old age

What are the signs of old age in a betta? I'm afraid my betta may be near his days! There are no signs of illness. Loss of appetite and some slow movement.
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Well, the signs are: Slow, starting to dull color, and eats less than usual.
For old ones, I always suggest to lower the water level to make it shallow enough for him to take some air. And if there's a filter, turn it to the lowest setting.

Good luck, and I'm sure he lived a long nice life with you. :) How long has he been with you exactly?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #3 
sandrac8388

He has been with me since March of this year. I bought him full grown at wal mart and I never knew how old he was. I thought he was sick but he looks normal. Just swims slower and isn't as active anymore. All his water readings are normal in his 10 gallon tank. I turned the filter down. He still eats, just not as much as he used to anymore :( I really don't think he is sick.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

That's the same with me and my CT. I got him in March...
As long as there aren't any symptoms of any possible sickness then I guess he is old. \: Water is warm, right?
Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #5 
sandrac8388

Yes. His water is at 78. I do water changes 2- 50% ...trying to cycle. But i always check his parameters and they are all good. Even when the slightest bit of ammonia shows up I immediately change the water. I hope he is ok and its not a sickness.

I do notice that he flares normally every night. It is his routine before his tank light gets turned off. He will flare and his tail opens and he is just so cute!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, if he's old we can't tolerate ammonia. All we can do is hope that he's not old and that he just doesn't like eating anymore. lol

I know how cute they are when that happens. x3
Old 12-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #7 
Myates

Most likely he isn't old... they tend to be anywhere from 3 months to 6 months of age when you purchase them from Wal Mart - he should still have years left as long as he is healthy. You having him 9 months, and say he was 6 months when you purchased him (unlikely, as mass breeders want the stock out as quickly as possible) then he is still only 15 months old.. average span for pet store bettas is about 3-5 years when kept properly (which it seems you are doing).
He may just not want to eat as much right now - 9 months is a long time for a fish.. he is out of his juvenile stage and is an adult, which could be the reason he doesn't eat as much, his body doesn't need as much to grow anymore.

Keep an eye on him, he is still eating and moving around which is good - but if he does stop eating and becomes very lethargic then that does mean something is going on with his health. Try to think if anything has changed recently, new food or water conditioner.. has something been sprayed in the air near his tank.. did you not wash your hands prior to doing a water change, etc. Something may of been introduced into his home that is causing him to act a bit differently.
But on all accounts from what you have said.. it may just be him becoming an adult and possibly the weather change.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #8 
sandrac8388

I will keep my eye open just in case anything weird shows up. If he doesn't eat his frozen brine shrimp tonight I will definitely know something is not right. That is his favorite.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #9 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Most likely he isn't old... they tend to be anywhere from 3 months to 6 months of age when you purchase them from Wal Mart - he should still have years left as long as he is healthy. You having him 9 months, and say he was 6 months when you purchased him (unlikely, as mass breeders want the stock out as quickly as possible) then he is still only 15 months old.. average span for pet store bettas is about 3-5 years when kept properly (which it seems you are doing).
He may just not want to eat as much right now - 9 months is a long time for a fish.. he is out of his juvenile stage and is an adult, which could be the reason he doesn't eat as much, his body doesn't need as much to grow anymore.

Keep an eye on him, he is still eating and moving around which is good - but if he does stop eating and becomes very lethargic then that does mean something is going on with his health. Try to think if anything has changed recently, new food or water conditioner.. has something been sprayed in the air near his tank.. did you not wash your hands prior to doing a water change, etc. Something may of been introduced into his home that is causing him to act a bit differently.
But on all accounts from what you have said.. it may just be him becoming an adult and possibly the weather change.
I'm very worried :( I don't see anything wrong physically. Every morning I wake up and turn his light on about 9. Usually he is right there in the front waiting for his breakfast..jumping out of the water and dancing away. On Thursday it was a bit different I woke up and he just sat at the top of the tank hanging out. He didn't eat that morning. I did a water change just in case. I recently added live plants, shrimp, and two nerite snails. He has been handling it very well until now. Should I QT him?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

You may want to QT him as it might be a sickness of some sort and you may start noticing more symptoms. It might have something to do with the new plants and tankmates.. They could have introduced something to the tank that you didn't want. Did you QT them before adding them to the tank?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote