Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #1 
BeatrixKiddo

2.5 gallon water change question

I have read OFL's sticky about recommended water changes for a 2.5 gallon tank. However, I was wondering if I could change the water more often. Would it be alright if every other day I changed 50% of the water? Would this be considered too clean? When I was doing the 1-50% and 1-100% weekly water changes, Prince Chulalongkorn got fin rot. I've currently switched him to a quarantine tank dosed with aquarium salt with 100% water changes a day. Once he gets better, he can go back in his newly divided and cycled 10 gallon. But, I recently got an elephant ear betta named Okami. He's in the 2.5 gallon tank, and I would hate it if he came down with fin rot or something similar.
BeatrixKiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Every other day would be a little bit too stressful and might make it too clean as you said. Does the 2.5 have a filter? If not, I guess 2 100% per week will do with no fin rot. Maybe another 50% as well? I find this strange, OFL has experimented and perfected a change schedule.. Do you happen to have ammonia in your tap water?

You can use Prime as a water conditioner so it can detoxify the ammonia for 24-48 hrs.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #3 
BeatrixKiddo

I have a filter, but I'm afraid the current might be to strong for the little guy even with some baffling. He is approximately 1.5 inches, and I'm worried his elephant ears might make it harder for him to swim in a current.

I have been using the prime water conditioner, so I don't think the ammonia in my tap would be a major problem.

Prince Chulalongkorn got his fin rot approximately 3 days after I brought him home from Petsmart, so maybe his immune system was stressed.

I also have a heater in the 2.5 gallon tank, which is keeping the temp at a steady 78 degrees. I'm just a little paranoid about ruining my new betta's fins. One sick betta is bad enough.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

I don't think a lowered immune system causes fin rot, bad water quality does. I hope you don't get another sick betta! But still, do you have any ammonia in your tap?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #5 
BeatrixKiddo

Nope, I checked with the API Master test kit.