Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #11 
AyalaCookiejar

The lighting on the hood of the three gallon is good, IMO. The 10, not so much. I am actually unsure if the three gallon is what he used when he had a puffer fish a while back.. I remember him having one that didn't survive very long.
He told me that both of the tanks were given to him by a friend so I doubt he cleaned them or inquired about previous usage, lol. It's also hard to let the tank dry in the sunlight right now as there really isn't much of it here this time of year...
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #12 
Syriiven

I know that feel. had myself a small freak-out when I thought Phy was sick and the 10g was contaminated. Wasn't looking forward to tearing it down and cloroxing everything. I'd look into the vinegar method. Not sure what it entails other than hot water and vinegar and looots of rinsing.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #13 
AyalaCookiejar

I think its like a 10:1 ratio or something and plenty of rinsing and rinsing, and then some more rinsing or something close to that, with a lot of rinsing.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I highly recommend cycling the 3g, it's better for the stock. Small tanks will take a stable cycle, especially if you plant it heavily as a backup. A sponge filter will take care of your bacteria colony housing and is gentle on the fish.

How much ammonia is in your sourcewater? A cycled tank will remove that, giving your fish less toxic water than what you drink. Use Prime during water changes, or whenever inn doubt, to convert the ammonia to harmless ammonium, which is good for nitrifying bacteria and plants.

Performing a fishless cycle in your 3g will free up the 10g should you decide to stock it. Run both filters in the 3g. This will develop bacteria colonies in both filters. You can then install one of them in the 10g for an instant cycle. If your 5g's are not yet cycled, you can put a couple more filters into the fishless cycle. When a filter is cycled, the tank is cycled.

Bleach is best for serious tank cleaning. Just make sure you rinse thoroughly and air-dry completely.

Last edited by Hallyx; 12-08-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #15 
AyalaCookiejar

It's only .25 ppm. My current two tanks are already starting to cycle it out and I will hopefully have prime by tomorrow.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #16 
Syriiven

By the way, the higher your pH, the more tocix ammonia is to yur fish >.> So the hgiher it is from 7.0 the worse ammonia (even small amounts) can hurt your fishies.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #17 
AyalaCookiejar

My pH in the tap is 7.4 but the additives in my water raise it to about 7.8 or 8...
Old 12-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #18 
Syriiven

Then that little .25 is worse for them than usual. =( Your tap water....so much trouble.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

I know. Hopefully prime wont raise the pH as much as my current conditioner.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #20 
Syriiven

I wasn't aware conditinoers could raise the pH. Mine's eems to have dropped .2-.4 in the 10g tho. Though it may have to do with the different testing kits I used before and today.