Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #1 
meganlbetta

Cool Hunting

I know we all are animal lover's here but I am just curious if anyone here hunts?

This year I got my very first big game animal that was a big whitetail buck with my 7mm-08 remington rifle.

My buck was a 5x6 with the 6 being a drop tine! :)

What was your 2012 trophy?
meganlbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #2 
homegrown terror

i don't hunt (don't have the stomach for killing something that's never done harm or presents a threat to me or my family) but i'm getting a pistol crossbow this january that i plan to take range shooting. it's all-fiberglass construction (only weighs 4 pounds) has an 80 pound draw weight, auto cocking lever and an initial velocity of 210 fps (more than enough to score a lethal or debilitating hit at self-defense range up to 50 feet) the best part is that the channel is dual-function and can shoot traditional bolts, but also can be equipped with a pouch on the string to shoot steal bearings, making it both a crossbow and a tactical slingshot.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I only kill if it threatens me like Ticks.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #4 
AngelicScars

No hunting, I don't get the appeal.
And I don't see why anyone would want to pose with a dead animal either.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am okay with people who hunt for food because if they have no access to food it seems okay. I am also okay with sport hunters who donate the meat to charity. Its pretty common in Alaska.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #6 
meganlbetta

With my family we do a bit of trophy hunting but we harvest all the meat so we dont have to purchase meat from the grocery store. We hunt coyotes because when you get too many they start to be a problem because they arent scared and could harm us or out pets.
meganlbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If you have extra meat what happens to it?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #8 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
If you have extra meat what happens to it?
That, Choc, is when your freezer becomes your best friend.

I personally don't hunt yet - I'm a decent shot, but my marksmanship isn't quite at the level that I'd be comfortable hunting as I want to be sure that any kill I make will be as swift and humane as possible. I just got a bow that I could actually take hunting last year and between school and work, it's been tough finding time to get to the range and practice. lol And I'd need to get a different rifle to hunt with - my little Remington 581 .22 rimfire won't do much more than small game

I'm of the school of thought that hunting is somewhat of a necessity in the modern world, especially since humans have removed many of the keystone species and/or apex predators from their natural habitat. We've pretty much made a place where generalist animals like deer and coyotes thrive, but the animals that would naturally keep these populations in check struggle to survive; therefore, deer/coyote/racoon/etc. populations increase to a level that stresses the entire ecosystem. Without removing some of the generalists, it's possible for an ecosystem to be dramatically altered or even crash. However, hunting must be done in a sustainable way to avoid removing too many animals and tipping the balance in the opposite direction - 'tis an extremely complex issue.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

I could never kill an animal as beautiful and graceful as a deer. Though I think I would really like the taste of venison. Isn't it like lean beef?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #10 
thekinetic

I would like to hunt but only because it's very spiritual for me. That and game meat isn't readily available for purchase.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote