Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #1 
lilchiwolf

Wink Marina Cubus: .9gallon

Yes, I know its small. This is just a temp tank till I am back home on christmas vacation and I can pack up my spare 10 gallon to give him. I did buy a little heater for it and its keeping a nice 80` temp for him along with shelter and plant/gravle. I will post pictures on my newest betta soon :)

Example pick of tank:

lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

I'm sure your betta will be fine in that tank as long as it is just temporary, the main thing is he has a heater etc which by the sounds of it you have already seen to and that it is cleaned often. Would love to see some photos of your bettas
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It would work permenatly with enough water changes. I am concerned with the holw in the top.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #4 
veggiegirl

I agree with choclatebetta, that hole could present a problem, best keep it covered, I had a male jump through a 1cm round hole before. I couldn't believe it, he jumped into the tank next door and battled with the betta next door all day (I was out). The other betta came off worse and had his bottom jaw ripped off and had no fins left, despite the grievous injuries his fins fully regrew and his jaw was always crooked but he never missed a meal. Obviously the main concern is that he will jump out and suffocate. If you decide to use this tank just be sure to keep that hole well covered
Old 12-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They dont suffocate when they jump out they dry out.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #6 
veggiegirl

Oh yes that too but they can suffocate, the labrynth organ is a back up breathing supply for a betta but they cannot survive on it alone for long periods they must also be able to breathe oxygen using their gills from the water.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #7 
emeraldmaster

vegiegirl is right here, the lybrinth is simple a back up. and lilchiwolf... a THIN cloth could cover that hole nicely. All you would have to do is weigh it down with a couple of pencils or something. i know that you aint got much to work with right now, be creative. sometimes the simple things can make the best solutions.
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #8 
lilchiwolf

Thanks guys ^_^
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl View Post
Oh yes that too but they can suffocate, the labrynth organ is a back up breathing supply for a betta but they cannot survive on it alone for long periods they must also be able to breathe oxygen using their gills from the water.
In there natural habitat they use the labyrinth 24/7 because the huge bodies of water there native too are stagnat with little oxygen they are also very warm. Would not surprise me if thialand breeders tanks have little oxygen too.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #10 
homegrown terror

i'm gonna have to back up chocco here. some university did a study on several species of gourami (including b. splendens) they removed the labyrinth organ, and found that most of the fish drowned in a matter of minutes due to their primary reliance on it rather than their gills. that said, if they jump out of their tank they WILL suffocate since they labyrinth must be kept wet in order to perform the gas exchange and provide oxygen.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote