Betta Fish Forum banner

Marina Cubus: .9gallon

936 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
Yes, I know its small. This is just a temp tank till I am back home on christmas vacation and I can pack up my spare 10 gallon to give him. I did buy a little heater for it and its keeping a nice 80` temp for him along with shelter and plant/gravle. I will post pictures on my newest betta soon :)

Example pick of tank:

See less See more
#4 ·
I agree with choclatebetta, that hole could present a problem, best keep it covered, I had a male jump through a 1cm round hole before. I couldn't believe it, he jumped into the tank next door and battled with the betta next door all day (I was out). The other betta came off worse and had his bottom jaw ripped off and had no fins left, despite the grievous injuries his fins fully regrew and his jaw was always crooked but he never missed a meal. Obviously the main concern is that he will jump out and suffocate. If you decide to use this tank just be sure to keep that hole well covered:)

#9 ·
In there natural habitat they use the labyrinth 24/7 because the huge bodies of water there native too are stagnat with little oxygen they are also very warm. Would not surprise me if thialand breeders tanks have little oxygen too.

#7 ·
vegiegirl is right here, the lybrinth is simple a back up. and lilchiwolf... a THIN cloth could cover that hole nicely. All you would have to do is weigh it down with a couple of pencils or something. i know that you aint got much to work with right now, be creative. sometimes the simple things can make the best solutions.

#8 ·
Thanks guys ^_^

#10 ·
i'm gonna have to back up chocco here. some university did a study on several species of gourami (including b. splendens) they removed the labyrinth organ, and found that most of the fish drowned in a matter of minutes due to their primary reliance on it rather than their gills. that said, if they jump out of their tank they WILL suffocate since they labyrinth must be kept wet in order to perform the gas exchange and provide oxygen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.