Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #1 
toni925

Not sure whats wrong with my new betta, pics included, please help.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal
What temperature is your tank? 75F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 small pieces 2x a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Just set up tank w/ Aqueon BettaBowl Plus conditioner/dechlorinator on Monday morning and kept on light and airstone overnight. Purchased and added 'Frank' yesterday.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? just changed 100% because of how cloudy it was and how badly it smelled (overnight)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon BettaBowl Plus conditioner/dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Drastically, he was a bright eyed blue full-finned boy when I brought him to the office. Now, he's covered in a white scaley stuff, one eye is really cloudy and his fins are blackening and tearing and falling off... see pics
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Followed my finger, swam happily yesterday afternoon, came in this morning to find him laying on the bottom and barely moving.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? The man at the local fish store recommended Maracide. Since its formulated for 10gal tanks, I only added a few drops after 100% changing the water (which smelled horrid)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)? ??? Just brought him home yesterday
toni925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #2 
lelei

There is a few things that are happoening there..he may have a Mystery disease that is inflicting blue bettas..and a combination of cold water he is got a bad case of ich and needs treatment..it may be too late..if he is very lethargic..he needs a heater..and super clean water..temp should be at 85 to wipe out ich..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #3 
toni925

Thank you!

I will try the small heater tonight. What can I use for the ich? Or will the maracide help with that and the fin rot?
toni925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #4 
LeoTheLakerBetta

You should clean your tank at least twice a week with at least 1 50% and 1 100% water change. I do 2 100%. It would be safe if you have a bigger tank, also easier to maintain but you don't have to as long as you have clean water in there. In the Betta Fish Care section you can check out OldFishLady's water change recommendatipons; they are really helpful.. Good luck, I hope he feels better
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #5 
bryanacute

About his eye- is it budging out, SUPER big or just cloudy.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #6 
Silverfang

He's suffering from terrible rot, possibly that horrible mystery disease that infects blues. Plus what appears to be fungus or maybe the dreaded Columnarious. I would suggest you talk to Sakura8 or Oldfishlady (OFL).

They are some of the most experienced people I know on the forums. OFL is experienced with natural remedies. And Sakura is one of our experts on this terrible mystery disease if that is what it is.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply to this yet. How is he doing?

It looks like a very very bad case of columnaris and necrosis of the fins. If it is the mystery disease, there is currently no treatment.

I'm concerned that this came on right after he was moved into his tank. Check the expiration date of your water conditoner to make sure it's still good. Also, depending on the quality of water at your office, you may need to switch to a water conditioner that definitely removes hard metals. I know Seachem Prime does and there might be a conditioner from API that does too.

Otherwise, the best I can suggest is 1 tsps of AQ salt per gallon and frequent water changes until I can tell for sure what type of disease he is battling. Good luck with him and keep us updated.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #8 
callistra

Did you rinse the plants and rocks well before adding him? Wonder if something foreign is in the bowl.. Agree on getting a conditioner. I usually use Prime as well.

As far as medications, I'd try Kanaplex if you can find it. It's a Seachem med. If you can't try Maracyn Plus. (not Maracyn or Maracyn II). If that came on that fast overnight it's moving extremely quickly and needs am equally quick response.

Hope he pulls through!
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote