Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #1 
Bettagirl101

Filter or no filter?

So i just got a 3 gallon tetra cube tank kit that came with a filter today. After reading some posts on here about it, I am starting to wonder whether or not I should use the filter. Here's the tank that I use: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-LED-...-Pets/20693135

What do yall think? The main reason I got the tank was to upgrade the 1 gallon betta tank to a 3 gallon filtered and planted tank in hopes that Roy would quit his sever tail biting habit. I really wanted it to be filtered, but it does not have to be filtered unless there is a better filter for 3 gallon tanks that yall know about.

Last edited by Bettagirl101; 12-08-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Bettagirl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Well, in a tank that small filters aren't really necessary and the filters in small tank kits are usually pretty strong. If you want to you can, but you would probably need to baffle it. For small tanks I recommend sponge filters as there is really no intake that a betta can get caught in. Cycling is possible, I successfully cycled my 3.5 with no problems and it's a great benefit for me and the fish.

But in general, I don't recommend the filter that your tank came with. If you want a filter, might as well get a sponge filter.
LebronTheBetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #3 
Bettagirl101

Where can I get a sponge filter? Do I need to build one?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

You can build it, but you can buy it as well. I think the Hydor and Elite sponge filters work well. I use a Jager sponge filter but I needed to use a T valve since it was a little bit strong. Also, you would need an aerator and airline tubing to make the filter work.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #5 
Bettagirl101

I have airline tubing and an aerator that is used for the filter that the tank came with. If I do get the sponge filter I'll use the tubing for that instead.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

That's good, and any sort of tubing will work well. :) I hope Roy gets over his tail problems!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #7 
Bettagirl101

Me too. The main problem was that I moved him from the 5 gallon to a 1 gallon because my other betta's 3 gallon bowl broke and my other betta was much too big for the 1 gallon. It has been a battle so far, but I hope that this helps resolve it. I want him to get big, like my other betta.