Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #11 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Leaf View Post
You took the pic on my b-day!
I guess I did.

I wasn't a member here yet, though. After I joined, I saw that I'd missed your birthday, so I sent you a Happy Birthday message.

How is King Dedede doing?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

Cayman pooped today! Yay! LOL

Yes, I know. It's really bizarre to get worked up about poop, much less cheer when it happens.

But Cayman was constipated, and looked bloated. So I put him into an Epsom salt bath on Thursday.... On Friday morning, he looked like he was dead. I went to cup him, and he swam away! (I think both of us screamed. LOL).... On Saturday morning, he was doing barrel rolls in his tank, which freaked me out!... Today, he looked better though. Shellieca recommended feeding him a pellet. I did, and he pooped! Yay! I've removed him from the salt treatment, and he's back in his regular water now. He doesn't look overly happy. But hey, at least he's not doing barrel rolls, or giving me his best "play dead" act. So I'll take it.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #13 
LittleBlueFishlets

I bought some Omega One Betta pellets today. Maybe it'll help keep Cayman from being constipated. I fed each fish one pellet to see how they liked and tolerated it.

Fiji attacked, gulped, swallowed, and pretended she hadn't eaten in a month.

Cayman attacked, gulped, swallowed, and asked politely for more.

Tahiti attacked, gulped, and spit it out.... I tried again.... "No way," he replied.

*Sigh* Can't make 'em all happy at once, I guess. LOL
Old 12-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #14 
rubinthebetta

Congrats on Cayman! By Christmas Betta Contest, do you mean the one I just so happened to start?
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #15 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yes! I'd been reading about that contest. When I saw Cayman, he had a green body with red and white fins - and all I could think about was that he'd be perfect for that contest.

Of course, then he got sick and bloated, which made him pale and clamped. For awhile, he ended up looking more like a wilted lettuce leaf than a bright Christmas fish.

And now, he looks MUCH better, but his fins are all tattered looking. (It's not fin rot.) I think it's just from the stress and bloat. I'm hoping that he's not biting his pretty fins off!

Maybe I need to run a web cam on him 24/7 to see if he's tail biting....
Old 12-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #16 
LittleBlueFishlets

Tahiti won't eat. BUT he's still active. He swims all over the place, meanders through his pipes and pots, and flirts with the girl next door (Fiji). But he either spits out or ignores his pellets. Eventually, the pellets sink and get yuky looking, and I scoop them out and throw them away.....

I've put a barrier up between his tank and Fiji's. I think he's a little too obsessed with her. Hopefully, if he sees her a little less, he'll remember to eat occasionally.

Maybe I need to change my sig line to "If it's not one thing, it's another." LOL
Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #17 
LittleBlueFishlets

The barrier between Tahiti's and Fiji's tanks had the desired effect. Tahiti ate his pellets today.

Then again, maybe he just wasn't hungry yesterday. Who knows.... *shrug* We need to teach our fish to talk, so they can tell us how they're feeling. LOL

I adjusted the barrier so they can see each other a little, but not all the time. I think it'll be better that way.

All three are doing fine today. Yay! Finally, no one is sick, or floating upside down, or doing barrel rolls. (I sure hope I didn't just jinx myself here.)

Cayman's fins are still looking ragged. They're clean though, and he's been getting loads of water changes. (Ammonia is at 0.) So either they were affected by his recent submersion on Epsom salts, or he's biting them off. I keep sneaking over to look at him, to make sure he's not chewing on his tail. But he invariably sees me coming, and stares at his food container while doing a little Happy Dance. LOL
Old 12-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #18 
LittleBlueFishlets

Tahiti not only ate his pellets today, but he built a bubble nest.

Cayman is DEFINITELY chewing off his pretty fins. Maybe he needs more cover in his tank? I have to remind myself that he's been here for LESS than two weeks, so everything is still new - and maybe a bit overwhelming for him.... I bought some more silk plants for him today. Hopefully, it'll make him more comfy in his new tank, and solve the tail biting issue. Silly fish...

And Fiji is, well, just like always - she's happy and hungry. LOL
Old 12-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #19 
LittleBlueFishlets

So I added new silk plants to Cayman's tank. And I covered up the sides at night to give him added privacy.

This morning, he was sound asleep - but there were bits of fin scattered all over the bottom of his tank.

He's a mess today. The missing fins parts make it look like he's a "wanna-be-crowntail." :sigh:

In other news, Tahiti has added to his bubblenest, and Fiji is her usual ADHD self.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #20 
LittleBlueFishlets

Cayman is my high-maintenance fish. Or maybe he just wants to be a crown-tail. For his tail biting, I've now tried:
  • warmer water temp (81F) / cooler water temp (78F)
  • increased light / decreased light
  • more exposure to my other bettas (especially the female) / less exposure to my other bettas
  • more privacy / less privacy
  • more decorations / fewer decorations
  • more silk plants / less silk plants
  • more mirror time for flaring (which has helped the constipation! LOL)

Photo 1: 12/8/12 - I had just brought him home, and he was acclimating in his cup:

Photo 2: 12/23/12 - Today: Amazing color change - but chomped fins: