Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #1 
BettaLinz

Exclamation Sick betta! Swollen lip, white lump under gill. PLEASE HELP!

Just yesterday I came home to my betta fish, Sparky, not looking himself. His bottom lip looks swollen and almost like it has a very slight white pus coming out of it. He also looks light he has a white-ish lump under his gills that seems to be growing. He also seems to have some fin rot. I immediately went to Petsmart and got some Pimafix and treated the water last night and again this morning. Then I read online that Pimafix didn't work very well, so I rushed out to exchange it and got E.M. Erythromycin and treated the water in my bettas tank. He lives alone in a 10 gallon aquarium that is kept around 79-80 degrees. So far I have not done any water changes since he got sick for fear of making the meds ineffective. I am VERY worried about him... I love this little guy with all of my heart and I really don't want to lose him. He has been acting very lethargic the last few days and just lingers in the top corner of his tank. I can get him to eat, but only if I drop the pellets right in front of his face to where he doesn't have to move very much to get to them. Right now I have part of his tank covered with a towel and the lights off in the room he is in. What else can I do to help him recover? I have read about aguarium salt, but I don't have any of that on hand...are there any substitutes for that? Can I try to change some of his water? On the E.M. Erythromycin box it does not say to change any water until the second or third day...and I am just not wanting to wait that long... I treated him at 3pm today... Could I try to change part of the water? Or should I wait until tomorrow at the 24 hour mark? Please help...any information is greatly appreciated. Sorry this was long, but I am frantic and do not want to lose my beloved Sparky.
Attached Images

Last edited by BettaLinz; 12-08-2012 at 10:14 PM.
BettaLinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #2 
BettaLinz

Please help...Someone has to know something
Old 12-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #3 
sunlight

You can change 50% of the water and just treat new water with dose of the medication again. You can do it every day. Just redose required dose of the medications.

Did you see his poop? I am just trying to understand if it internal parasites. If it is his poo will be white,clear,stringy,wormy shape. I would also lower the water in the tank or transfer him in the hospital tank it will help him to swim up to the surface for air.

Epsom salt i am really recommending. In the town i live we have it at any pharmacy.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

I am not sure about his lip, but he does look bloated. Have you looked at his poo? If so, does it look white and stringy? Epsom salt is often used for treating bloating, but the bloating could either be a sign of constipation or internal parasites.
I don't have experience with that medication, but I find it strange that it says not to change the water.. With salt treatments, you want to do 100% daily water changes and probably move the fish to a hospital tank as this makes it easier... If the ammonia or nitrites are high, change the water immediately. Warm, clean water is usually the key.

sorry, I'm slow, lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #5 
sunlight

I even saw someone treated with medication and daily water changes just redosing every time when you do changes. So if you can find Epsom salt. Pre mix and shake make sure it dissolved 3tsp/gall . Do daily 100% water changes. Make sure you acclimate him slowly to the new water. Just keep adding small amount of the new water to his changing cup , let him sit in that water for a few minutes and do it 2-3 times.

Also if you can find Stress coat API add it to his water. It will replenish his slime coat .

Did you overfeed him? When is last time when you see his poop?

Please never use Pimafix or Bettafix

Didn't see your post posted at the same time:)
Old 12-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #6 
sunlight

me too lol
Old 12-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #7 
BettaLinz

Thank you for the responses! I have seen small whiteish things floating around in the water, but it didnt look like anything that should be of concern so i didn't think anything of it. His tank has always had some stuff that floats around from time to time just from the gravel and water changes. Could it be parasites? If it is, what should I do? And I hate to admit it but he has eaten at least 5 pellets today...just in a desperate attempt to help him recover. Which could explain why the spot looks bigger than it did earlier.

I don't have any epsom salt on hand.. and I don't think I can make a run to Walmart tonight, or any time before 2pm tomorrow :( Is there anything else I can use?

Lastly, I have 2 gallons of water already treated sitting out right now so the temp will adjust. I was planning on doing a 20% water change in a few minutes, but should I just move him to a 1 gal bowl? I wont have any way to heat or filter it if I do. Also, if he is moved to the bowl, is it okay to add some of the medication to the clean water? They come in packets for 10 gallons, so it would be hard to figure out what dosage to put in, but not impossible...

Thank you all!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

It's important to keep him at 78-80 degrees but you do not need a filter in the smaller tank since you will be doing 100% water changes, anyways. It will also help him swim without water movement. You can continue using the medication until you get epsom salt. I also don't know if the parasites float, but often times my tanks have a whitish coat on the surface that will not hurt anything.

I would also fast him to help with the bloating.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #9 
BettaLinz

Thanks for the info! I am going to go and set him up a clean 1 gal bowl and add a small amount of the medication. I will be sure to get some epsom salt asap tomorrow. I am only worried about the temperature... My house is kept at 68 degrees and that cannot be changed. I can move him upstairs where it is a little warmer but other than that, I dont know what to do. I'm afraid that a heater for a 10 gallon aquarium would be too much for a tiny bowl. Any suggestions?

Also, how to I go about using the epsom salt when I get it? How much per gal, should I dissolve it, etc? or should I just do baths?

Sorry - I am new to betta sickness :'(
Old 12-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

1tsp per gallon, pre-dissolved. Is your heater adjustable? I'd highly recommend one if it is not.

If you can't heat the one gallon, you can keep him in the ten gallon I guess and reduce the water level. However, if your tank is cycled, it will ruin the cycle most likely. Are you using the current medication in his ten gallon? I believe the filter will make the medication less effective, anyways.

It seems to me like he is mostly just bloated, and often times just fasting them will cure it without the need for medication. However, I am still unsure about his lip... That seems more like something that should be treated with AQ salt, if it is even a problem.