Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #31 
AyalaCookiejar

Longer exposure to Epsom salt will not hurt him. Just make sure you add it gradually. 1tsp/gal is fine.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #32 
ANHEL123

Epsom salt is very mild and will not hurt him. It also has antibacterial/fungal effect . You can safely use 1tsp/gall up to 3 tsp/gall. In some cases if fish has chronic sb problem you can use epsom salt in lower dose of 1tsp/gall- indefinitely. But if your betta bloated from overfeeding- 1tsp is enough. I would even try to fast him first. If he will not recovered in about 5 days i would increase the dosage. One thing i confused with instructions was given is that i though that it really better to dissolved it first before adding in the tank. I know with aquarium salt you absolutely can not add it without dissolving because you can burn the fish. I do know epsom salt is mild though but i always though that its better to pre dissolved it. AlsoI like those strip thermometers though.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #33 
callistra

It's mild as long as you acclimate. Yes, it needs to be predissolved. The stick outside thermometers are not accurate.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #34 
BettaLinz

Okay, now I am starting to get very worried. It still seems like the bloat is not going down. Today I did a 50% water change in addition to the 100% I did yesterday, along with adding some epsom salt and medication again. It is not getting bigger, but is not going down. I have also not fed him at all today or yesterday. He is acting a looot better and is moving around more, but the bloat still worries me. I looked at him from above today and it looks like his scales may be starting to pinecone.. I cannot tell for certain though because it is slight. I think it could be from a drop in temperature though as the water change made his water a bit colder. Could it be dropsy? :'( I will try to get a picture...
BettaLinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #35 
AyalaCookiejar

It very well could be dropsy, however, bloating can cause slight pine coning. It doesn't always go away right away, either. Epsom salt is probably needed immediately.
Does he have swollen eyes or a gray belly?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #36 
BettaLinz

Right now there is about 3-4 tsp dissolved epsom in his 10 gal tank. The pineconing I am seeing is very slight and can only be seen in one of the pictures if you look closely/zoom in...sorry I couldnt get great ones. It really is slight and is easier seen with the naked eye but is enough to get me worried. I really hope I am just being paranoid. He is acting so much better, though. He does not have a grey belly or swollen eyes, from what I can tell. He does, however, have a small grey spot on his head that you can see in the pics if I can get them to upload
Old 12-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #37 
BettaLinz

Maybe that will work for the picture.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #38 
AyalaCookiejar

Swollen eyes and a grey belly are the first signs of dropsy. I would just keep gradually adding salt to get it to 1tsp per gallon.

Edit: I kind of see what you mean about the pine coning... but it looks just around his belly area.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #39 
BettaLinz

Alright, I will add another tsp before bed and will add more tomorrow. Thank you so much for bearing with me throughout this! I am so grateful for everyones help! :) I will report back tomorrow with updates

EDIT: That's what I thought, as well. It's very slight and only around the swollen area.

Last edited by BettaLinz; 12-10-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #40 
SuperNoob

do you have a small container you could float inside your 10 gallon? That would keep him warm but lessen the amount of water you have to change and meds you have to use. That would also keep him closer to the surface.
SuperNoob is offline   Reply With Quote