Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #1 
Simpleflossi

Fin rot or not?

Hello everyone,

I had a perfectly healthy and very Hansom male Betta, until one morning I woke up and he looks like this. From what I can remember it wasn't a gradual process. He has a heater, light, filter, the works. The ends of his fins are perhaps slightly see through. But there is no black or red as described in other cases of fin rot. He eats like its going out of fashion, he makes bubble nests, has plenty of interaction with me and my partner and has silk plants and nothing to snare his fins on.
I don't know if this is tail biting or fin rot, but most refer to the as latter being a death sentence and he's happier than I have ever seen him. What's going on here?
Attached Images

Simpleflossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Wow. Overnight hey? O_o well it's not fin rot from what I can see. I do see he has chewed his fins though.

What size of tank do you have?
Temperature?
Do you have a heater?
How often do you clean?
What do you add after a water change?
How long have you had him?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #3 
Viva

Firstly, fin rot is not a death sentence. It is easily treated with aquarium salt and other methods if that doesn't work. If it happened overnight, its probably not fin rot. To me it looks lie he was perhaps stuck in a filter inflow or maybe his fins were damaged on a hard plant or decoration. He could also be stressed and be biting his own tail. It's hard to tell, have you put new decor or a new filter in the tank?
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot betta tail biting, tail biting