Betta Fish Forum banner

Otis

1K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  tazman19 
#1 ·
Here is my male betta, Otis...

3 gallon tank, live plant on left, fake soft plant in middle.
50W heater purchased at Petco with automatic thermostat for 76-80 degrees.
Whisper filter

Those are not marks inside or outside tank or on live plant. Probably just overexposure of cell phone camera. :)

About 1 1/2 months into ownership...:)

See less See more
#7 ·
They have a thermostat Chocolate. I know you're trying to be your helpful self. I'm sure they will monitor their tank very closely.

I bet Otis loves his place! He's super cute!

#9 ·
Maybe just get one of those thermometers that have the suction cup you can stick to your tank from the inside? Those ones have had the best temp reading for me.

#11 ·
I notice you have a tetra heater. I would say its fine. The larger tetra heaters are junk and would probably safely heat the 3g. I would say just monitor the temps cloesly.

#13 ·
I don't have the smaller heaters available here and they were out yesterday in the city =P But I have the same heaters as you in my 2.5 and 3g and there hasn't been any terrible fluctuation in temperature. So maybe a123andpoof is right and the tetra heaters are crap. Which is fine by me since they haven't cooked my fish yet.

Btw, nice tank and grats on otis =) The only thing I might suggest is a small cave maybe, just something more solid of a hiding place. People use coffee mugs or small pottery pots if you don't have any decorations you like at the stores.

#14 · (Edited)
What is the deal with filters? As you can see, I am using the Whisper that came with my 3 gallon tank setup. I hear that bettas dont necessarily like ANY current. Otis seems to have fun though sometimes swimming against the current then back again on the right side of the tank.

Also, is sand or gravel preferable?

Thx again.

#22 ·
As for filters, there are some that are adjustable. And you can always add some sponge into the cartridge area to help muffle the flow. Some betta enjoy it, my CT's have, and my VT too. But betta with more tail (long VT's, HM's, Deltas) have a harder time with current because it's the equivalent of having sails full of wind on a boat.

But each betta is different =)

#19 ·
I use tetra in all my tanks. but am working on changing them out of my larger ones. because they have trouble heating ten gallons. 5 gallons is even pushing it *rolls eyes* but the 15 w works great in anything 2 gallons and under!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.