Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #21 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yes.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #22 
tazman19

Based on the great advice I have received here, I tied the anibus to the driftwood with some wire, keeping the Rhizome above the gravel. Otis loves swimming around this and the other live plant I have in there (keep forgetting the name of that one. LOL)

The heater is working great, keeping the temp at a constant and consistent 77-78 degrees.

I was thinking about adding some ghost shrimp for fun and tank maintenance. I read people have had good success doing this. How many can I add with Otis to my current 3 gallon setup? I have seen some people mention 8-10 but I fear that might be too much.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

tazman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #23 
sunlight

Gorgeous betta and i love the tank. How often and how much water changes you doing for your 3 gall tank?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #24 
tazman19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
Gorgeous betta and i love the tank. How often and how much water changes you doing for your 3 gall tank?
Thx.

I have been doing about 40 to 50 percent every two weeks or so.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #25 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What plant is that?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #26 
tazman19

El nino fern on left and Anibus tied to driftwood middle left.

I ended up not going with the ghost shrimp after seeing how frail they really look and went with a Cory catfish instead. Really great looking tiger striped one. So far, so good. They seem to be getting along. Otis finally took a stroll through the driftwood and came out the other side. Awesome.

This is a filtered tank, 3 gallon...I do about 40% water changes every two weeks. Is that sufficient with the 2 live plants in there, or too much or too little?

I have to siphon some crap from the gravel now at the bottom of the tank that I just noticed.

Thanks for all the helpful advice! :)
Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #27 
sunlight

No it not enough, especially that you have 2 fish in there. 3 gall would be just enough for one betta. I think cory compatible with bettas, not sure wait until other people will give you advice on that. But even if they are compatible, in that small tank 3 gall they might get agressive to each other later. So you really need to keep eye on that. And i would not even cycle 3 gall with 2 fish. For 3 gall with 2 fish i would do 2-50% and one 1-100% water changes a week. But my advice- it too small for 2 of them. For 3 gall with one betta i would do 1-50 and 1-100% water changes a week. And you need to acclimate your betta if you do 100% water changes.
Now i want to give you idea how to change water for filtered 3 gall tank with one betta. you need to do 50% water changes weekly with gravel vacuum and filter media rinse in the old water WITH water change. I even like to do 2 water changes a week with gravel vacuum. I am going to give you Oldfishlady links please check it out, very helpful about cycling and water changes. But i am personaly think 3 gall too small to cycle .
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Old 12-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #28 
tazman19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
No it not enough, especially that you have 2 fish in there. 3 gall would be just enough for one betta. I think cory compatible with bettas, not sure wait until other people will give you advice on that. But even if they are compatible, in that small tank 3 gall they might get agressive to each other later. So you really need to keep eye on that. And i would not even cycle 3 gall with 2 fish. For 3 gall with 2 fish i would do 2-50% and one 1-100% water changes a week. But my advice- it too small for 2 of them. For 3 gall with one betta i would do 1-50 and 1-100% water changes a week. And you need to acclimate your betta if you do 100% water changes.
Now i want to give you idea how to change water for filtered 3 gall tank with one betta. you need to do 50% water changes weekly with gravel vacuum and filter media rinse in the old water WITH water change. I even like to do 2 water changes a week with gravel vacuum. I am going to give you Oldfishlady links please check it out, very helpful about cycling and water changes. But i am personaly think 3 gall too small to cycle .
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Here she is saying no 100% water changes....Looks like I just need to up my cycle to weekly 50%.

1-4gal with/without filter and with live plants-
This can vary based on number, specie and growth state of the plants. Generally with live plants even without a filter you don't want to make 100% water changes.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #29 
sunlight

Second link about water changes saying

Tanks:
1-4gal without a filter or live plants
Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-100%

1-4gal with a filter
Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-50% weekly with substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method.
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month.

But i really think since you have 2 fish in the small tank it really better do not cycle the tank and do those 2 x50% and 1-100% water changes a week. It like you have 1.5 gall for each fish. And make sure you filter flow not too strong. Sometimes betta get stressed with too much water flow.
And if you want to continew to cylce it 2x 50% water changes a week, but it for one fish though.
It my opinion. I personally do 100% water changes for all my fish not matter from the tank size. You want to keep your water clean.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #30 
DragonFish

You used metal wire to tie you're Anbias down? Might want to replace that with some cotton string or fishing line before it starts to rust and screw with your water quality....

I do agree that more water changes are needed. Even for most setups, regardless of size(with the exception probably of something like a fully NPT), weekly water changes of some sort are needed.
In a three gallon tank that is filtered and has established a cycle, you'll want to do a couple 50%s per week. Tanks under 5 gallons don't usually hold very stable cycles, so you need to keep up with that with more frequent water changes then something a little larger.

Has your cycle been established? What are your levels(ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate)?

Personally with tanks under 5 gallons, I usually advise just ditching the filter and preforming 1-2 50%s and 1 100% per week instead as its a little less of a hassle, and you don't run the risks of your cycle crashing and causing all kinds of issues with your levels. But if you have already established a cycle or are wanting to go down that path, just do some reading up, be diligent with your water changes, and check your levels frequently.

On the subject of the other fish.....I'd highly suggest returning the poor thing, or finding another home for him. 3 gallons is just much too small for really much of anything to live with a betta, let alone another fish. On top of that, Cory catfish are a shoaling species and need a nice group of 5-6+ to do well.
I would suggest just keeping this tank a betta-only setup. If you're very determined to add something else, you could probably get away with a couple of ghost shrimp, but nothing else.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote