Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #1 
Syriiven

Kinda worried - darting/flaring/acclimation

So...I got two new betta fish. And have had them in their individual 1 gallon tanks since I brought them home. I did two 50% water changes each day, meanwhile checking the parameters on my newly cycled 10g.

A few times over the past few days, I've noticed them nosing around the glass beads at the bottom of their tank and darting towards the sides of their tanks. The HM more than the other.

Immediately I assumed possible velvet, and checked using a flashlight. Though my super-delta (was thought to be HM) is light colored with a teal iridecence anda marble, I was really worried about spotting it. But I didn't see anything that remotely sounds like the velvet descriptions. No dust, no shiny anything aside from what is his normal iridescence. And as for the CT he's dark and shone the flashlight on him and nothing.

So I assumed they were searching the glass beads for scraps of food I may have missed, or bored, and/or flaring/darting at their reflections. >.>

Since I haven't seen any actual development (better or worse) I thought I'd try accliamting them to the 10g. I've had them floating int heir cups and adding a bit of tank water every 15 minutes for a half hour now...and they both keep darting frequently.

Is it just because of the cups?

or should I be considering some other external parasite?

Edit:: I've added a bit more water and they're doing it less. Maybe it was just because they didn't have too much room int eh cup then?

Last edited by Syriiven; 12-10-2012 at 08:29 PM. Reason: development positive maybe
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Darting in their cups? They are trying to get out My fish do not like being in jars or cups when I do a large scale cleaning! Boy oh boy do they flip out I find it normal.

You've been taking good care of them, it is unlikely they would be sick.

The tank is divided, correct? Keep an eye on them for stress, as some do not like being in the presence of another fish. Make sure to have something to hide part of their sight from each other. Always have a backup plan in case one or the other gets too stressed
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #3 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Darting in their cups? They are trying to get out My fish do not like being in jars or cups when I do a large scale cleaning! Boy oh boy do they flip out I find it normal.

You've been taking good care of them, it is unlikely they would be sick.

The tank is divided, correct? Keep an eye on them for stress, as some do not like being in the presence of another fish. Make sure to have something to hide part of their sight from each other. Always have a backup plan in case one or the other gets too stressed
It makes sense...maybe being in a cup just srsly wigs out the one more than the other.

Do you think when they did it in their 1 gallon temp-tanks that they were just bored and seeing their reflections?

And yes, the tank is divided with plastic mesh so they won't always see eachother, and I can always use the 1 gallons as hospital tanks if anything happens...
Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Flaring is a healthy thing. Just means they are spunky I have a dumbo in a 1.7, and he is so active. Flaring, swimming, etc is fine. When they are in the 10, they will probably dart around, scouting their territory. :) They may also flare about as well.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #5 
Syriiven

I really can't see anything else wrong with them, so I guess I'll let them out in a few more minutes. And I guess if I keep an eye on them I can save them if anything worse really is happening.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

Both of my fish do that. I had originally thought it was velvet, as well. But they've been doing it now for weeks. It's just something they do, I guess. Lol. I recently moved my older one to a five gallon from a one gallon. I think it might be because he loves all the extra room he has, now.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #7 
Syriiven

Well I put them in the 10g (with as little as original water as possible from teh cups) and both were in shock for a bit. Then explored. And now are both doing their tough-guy dance in separate corners in the back u.u'
Old 12-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #8 
Jessa24

Splash was flaring alot when I first put him in his new 10 gal tank. I immediately thought "oh no velvet!" I did the flashlight test and have been keeping an eye on him. He is fine and he doing it less. I think he was just excited about all his new space. Also when I do a major cleaning to his tank he hates waiting in his cup and is all over the place. I think it's typical.
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #9 
callistra

If you acclimate the fish by floating them in a cup and slowly adding tablespoons of water every 10 minutes over the course of an hour or two you won't shock them.

My fish also freaks when he's cupped... just depends on the personality.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #10 
Syriiven

Thanks for all the replies everyone =) Really helped calm me down about moving them.

Tags
parasites darting