Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Do you wash your hands before feeding your betta?
Always 16 27.12%
Sometimes 12 20.34%
Usually not 31 52.54%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #51 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I guess you air dry. Or dry with whatever you have. I literally grab a good amount, and walk around feeding everyone their 3-4 pellets (and moreso for the giant) Luckily everyone is downstairs.

I am more careful, because of what I handle. Plus I rinse off my hands between fish (especially new. Sick fish I do a thorough clean with my hands).
I just wanna do what you say because you had a betta live for 7 years :P
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #52 
Sena Hansler

He was my first!!! He lived in a bowl, and got poked by a plant in the eye once (which then I cleaned his water more often). When his water was too cold I put him in the warmest spot possible and wrapped my sweater around it. And that was before I knew what I was doing. He ended up getting a bigger bowl, live plants, and pellets. Rather than the silly 0.5 gallon they gave me, the fake plastic plant, and flakes.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #53 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
He was my first!!! He lived in a bowl, and got poked by a plant in the eye once (which then I cleaned his water more often). When his water was too cold I put him in the warmest spot possible and wrapped my sweater around it. And that was before I knew what I was doing. He ended up getting a bigger bowl, live plants, and pellets. Rather than the silly 0.5 gallon they gave me, the fake plastic plant, and flakes.
Lol they can be pretty random like that. But didn't you have two others that lived to be 5? That's pretty good!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #54 
Sena Hansler

I did. My grumpy old man fish was about 5. No one really knows. Other than his fins looked "old" and he was huge! The size of my giant, basically (who is only about 3 inches right now) I also do not mass clean every tank unless it's that time of the year Or a fish died. I leave the bacteria on the walls.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #55 
strangelove

Usually not, though always after. Don't want smelly fingers :)
strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #56 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
I did. My grumpy old man fish was about 5. No one really knows. Other than his fins looked "old" and he was huge! The size of my giant, basically (who is only about 3 inches right now) I also do not mass clean every tank unless it's that time of the year Or a fish died. I leave the bacteria on the walls.
Did you get grumpy when he was already old? What about the other one?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #57 
Sena Hansler

I bought him old and grumpy. He must've been a retired breeder or something since he came with the goldies and not the betta shipment The other one calmed down when he got older. Spartan (2.5) calmed down too, and so did Shiloh (about 3). I've had rescues so their ages vary.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #58 
finnfinnfriend

Do you think the other one was old when you got him? Or like <a year?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #59 
Sena Hansler

Most of my fish were definitely 1+ years old, grumpy old man fish Georgie was definitely waaay past that point A lot of my rescues were unknown. Some females were tadpoles. No bigger than my 2 week fry! Some lived to a year, others barely 5 months :/ (stunted, ammonia poisoning, columnar is, etc etc etc for these rescues)

Spartan was about 6 months or so when I got him. He grew a bit more afterwards.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #60 
carbonxxkidd

I always do before and after I put my hands in my tank because I'm worried there might be something on my hands that is NOT safe for fish - like lotion, for example. I'm a chronic nail biter so washing afterwards is just second nature for me, I wash my hands A LOT.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote