Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #1 
FishyFishy89

Prayers to those involved in the CT shooting.

The news reporter, IMHO, is the dumbest man alive. He believes a gun ban would have stopped this shooting from happening. Then the guy on the phone says "if every teacher had a gun of some sort; this event likely would have never happened" THANK YOU CALLER!!!

But I still feel absolutely horrible for everyone involved. The innocent who died, who were injured, who are now traumatized for life.
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/category...al-live-stream
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

I honestly can't believe this happened.

I really can't...
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

So sad. I will never understand what compels some people to commit such atrocities. To actually be capable of taking that next step and doing something like this and that recent mall shooting just blows my mind.

Also, I didn't want to make this about guns as I feel that kind of diminishes the tragedy of what happened, but you mentioned it in your OP. We have strict gun control here and mass shootings like that happen so infrequently I can't remember when the last one actually occurred. You just can't walk into a store and buy a high-powered weapon that is capable of killing or maiming a large number of people in only a small window of time.

The only shootings that seem to occur are between rival motorcycle gangs and they would have guns whether they were banned or welcomed here with open arms.

Cannot imagine the trauma all those survivors are going to suffer. I mean what coward attacks an elementary school?
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #4 
FishyFishy89

@LittleBettaFish, you said yourself, wither or not there is a gun ban, criminals will still have there guns. Attacks like this on the innocent were not all that common. I feel the mental state of our country is really slipping and as a result, sadly, the guns are being used as a main weapon.

Guns are one of the easiest weapons to use. Just point and shoot. And in some states, they're so easy to obtain. Here in Florida, you don't need a license to purchase a gun!! I DO believe there should be stricter ways to get a gun. I honestly feel there should be a mental health test to get a license!

But because our right to bear arms is 2nd in our constitutional rights, there, fortunately, never will be a gun ban. If you honestly think about it. It really isn't all about the weapon. If they don't have access to guns, they'll have access to other weapons and will use those as well.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

I'm sorry, I have two small kids. If I knew that all of their teachers had guns, I wouldn't send them to school.

My heart hurts for those parents. I just couldn't imagine...
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #6 
FishyFishy89

I'm certain that it doesn't have to be the teachers that would have the guns. But I believe that the statement the caller was trying to make was that if people took advantage of their constitutional right and used it correctly, instead of being scared of the weapons, then there would be less of this type of crime.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #7 
SnowySurface

Tragedies like this boggle my mind.

On one hand, I think tragedies like this could be prevented by better mental health care and the removal of the stigma of "being crazy". A lot of times when something senseless happens, the person who commits the senseless act(s) is having some type of problem that could be helped by a professional. I don't think all shootings would end if every person on the planet was put on mood stablizers. But something had to be "off" with the shooter for this to happen that could have been noticed by a doctor if people had yearly mental health check ups the same way people have yearly physicals.

On the other hand, there are plenty of people with diagnosed mental health issues who don't kill children senselessly. I know from my own Grandma that when someone has a relapse of something, he or she is not him or herself. But I can't go so far as to say, "That person was having mental health issues, so children died because no one noticed in time." Mental health care may be lacking, but it's not non-existant.

I don't even know if this reply makes sense anymore. But I see this more as a "Why didn't anyone notice he needed mental health care," issue, than I see it as, "Guns are bad. make them go away," issue.

Note: I also want to make apsolutely sure that by "mental health care" I'm refering to therapy and life counseling. I am in no way suggesting that people who seem "different" should have pills shoved down their throat. I also don't think that "mentally healthy" means "happy". You can be ticked off at the world and completely sane. :)

Last edited by SnowySurface; 12-14-2012 at 03:16 PM.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #8 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
Tragedies like this boggle my mind.

On one hand, I think tragedies like this could be prevented by better mental health care and the removal of the stigma of "being crazy". A lot of times when something senseless happens, the person who commits the senseless act(s) is having some type of problem that could be helped by a professional. I don't think all shootings would end if every person on the planet was put on mood stablizers. But something had to be "off" with the shooter for this to happen that could have been noticed by a doctor if people had yearly mental health check ups the same way people have yearly physicals.

On the other hand, there are plenty of people with diagnosed mental health issues who don't kill children senselessly. I know from my own Grandma that when someone has a relapse of something, he or she is not him or herself. But I can't go so far as to say, "That person was having mental health issues, so children died because no one noticed in time." Mental health care may be lacking, but it's not non-existant.

I don't even know if this reply makes sense anymore. But I see this more as a "Why didn't anyone notice he needed mental health care," issue, than I see it as, "Guns are bad. make them go away," issue.

Note: I also want to make apsolutely sure that by "mental health care" I'm refering to therapy and life counseling. I am in no way suggesting that people who seem "different" should have pills shoved down their throat. I also don't think that "mentally healthy" means "happy". You can be ticked off at the world and completely sane. :)
Thank you!! Every senseless crime that has involved weapons has always been against the weapons. Why aren't people looking at the person who did the senseless crime and finding out ways they can stop the crime happening by HELPING the person who is truly in need? People always want to take the shortcut, the fastest way out. Well sometimes the shortcut isn't the best way to take.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

My thoughts and prayers go out to those families and people affected by this horrible, tragic event.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #10 
homegrown terror

Freija, mother of the gods, has a special place for children so wantonly killed. they will find peace, i know that much.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote