Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #1 
LittleBlueFishlets

Barely breathing, looks paralyzed - help!

Help! I don't think he's going to make it.... Below is his current status, along with info from the previous posts I made about him.

Friday 12/7/12: Currently barely breathing. Looks paralyzed. I put him into his cup (it's floating in the tank), so he can reach the surface easier.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gal critter keeper.
What temperature is your tank? 79F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes - temp has been constant at 79-80F.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Pellets - but he did not eat at all last night or this morning.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x per day - 2 or 3 pellets.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 100% yesterday 12/6, 100% Tuesday 12/4, brought him home on Fri 11/30 so his water was 'new' then.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
API Ammonia test (liquid) - no ammonia detected. (Same color as my tap water.)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Looks paralyzed. Barely breathing.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Has not appeared healthy since bringing him home one week ago..... First, he looked like he was having seizures.... Then, he lay under rocks or on a leaf hammock all the time. During the week I had him, would pretty much never move, except to surface for air.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Has had issues since the pet store employee dumped his blue water and refilled his cup in a nearby tank. Stress stripes immediately after the event. What looked like seizures the following day. Little motion.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Frequent 100% water changes. Have not done anything yet. (Also, I don't have aquarium salt on hand. If salt is needed, would I be able to use non-iodized salt?... I do have Epsom salt, if that's needed.)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Don't know. Have only had him one week.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know. But he's smaller than my other two.

The following was posted on Saturday 12/1/12:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
This is a NEW fish. I was at [Petstore] last night. Many bettas were in dark blue water. I asked an employee about this. She took the cup out of my hand, dumped the blue stuff into a bucket, plopped the cup into a nearby fish tank to fill it, and handed me back the cup.

The fish had turned very pale, with dark stress lines, and was gasping and shivering. I decided I didn't care what he looked like, and brought him home. He had stress stripes last night. Around 2am, he was looking better, and was investigating his surroundings. This morning, he looked even better, and had turned a nice blue-and-red color.

Around 6pm tonight, I moved him to his new 3 gal tank. Now, at 9pm, I'm noticing "changes" that concern me.

Housing
What size is your tank? Last night, he was in a 1 gal tank. About three hours ago, I put him into a new 3 gal critter keeper.
What temperature is your tank? Since bringing him home last night, water temp (in both 1gal and 3 gal tanks) has been steady at 80F.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes - temp has been constant at 80F.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? He is new. I gave him an Aqueon Betta Pellet tonight. He grabbed it, chewed it, and spit it out.
How often do you feed your betta fish? N/A - only got him last night.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? New water yesterday, since who knows what was in that cup! New water again today, when I moved him into his 3 gal tank.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% was done last night, and 100% again this evening.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No testing

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Gills are extended/opened more than 'normal,' but not as wide as if he was flaring. Rapid breathing. Pale head. Stress stripes.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Swimming is erratic. (Quick, jerky movements forward. Stop and scull in place. Repeat.) He doesn't look like he's having trouble staying down though. It's just fast-forward, stop, fast-forward.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night at the petstore. It seemed to get better. But there are new issues occurring after placing him in his new tank.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Have not done anything yet. (Also, I don't have aquarium salt on hand. If salt is needed, would I be able to use non-iodized salt?... I do have Epsom salt, if that's needed.)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Don't know.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know. But he's smaller than my other two.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #2 
TheCheese909

He may be what I call a "Puddle Fish". He might only like smaller sized aquariums, not all Bettas are like this however, many love the more open spaces of 5+ gallons which I refer to as "Ocean Fish".

Place him back in his 1 gallon aquarium, look at the store for API Stress Coat Plus. It's a better water conditioner and can also keep your fish calm.

Many Bettas do dart around, a quick burst then a glide, a quick burst then a glide. It can be easier for because of their long flowy fins. Now if he's doing that and bumping into things like he itches then that could mean he has ick.

Look at him with a flash light, if he has Ick you'll see a bunch of little white dots all over his body. If he has that then you'll need Aquarium Salt. Don't use regular every day salt, it's not the same.

Epsom salt is for internal problems while Aquarium Salt is for external, so you know the difference.

The blue water is usually medicated water. PetSmart used to put Hikari Betta Revive in their water which turns the water blue, but since they no longer sell that they don't use it anymore (atleast my stores dont).

Don't worry too much about not eating since they can go up to a month without starving or anything like that. If you want you can tempt him with frozen treats, glass worms, bloodworms or brine shrimp.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

No, he's beyond that. If I put him into a 1 gal, he won't be able to reach the surface.

He's in his cup, with the water level just over his head, and he's struggling to reach the surface as it is.

He isn't moving his body or his main fins. He's sculling with his pectoral fins only. His color is gray.

Would epsom salt help?
Old 12-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

He's lying on his side now. He can't even stay upright.

I dissolved a couple of epsom salt crystals in a few drops of treated water and added it to his cup. I don't think it'll make a difference, but at this point, it's worth a try.

His gills are moving. But if he's lying on his side, how is he going to reach the surface to breathe?
Old 12-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #5 
sandybottom
Reference Team

what kind of tank did he pull the water from? it could have a totally different ph than the water in the cup not to mention ammo.temp change, disease etc. when they are stressed ,their immune system is compromised. i would have waited with the wc until i had him home. i am in favor of taking time to acclimate betta. sometimes it takes me half a day. i test the lfs water and my own dechlorinated water before i put them in the tank. sorry you met up with an employee who has no clue. i'd call the store and let them know what is happening. little doubt in my mind that they don't test their aquariums everyday. and they usually use strip tests that are unreliable. if he dies they owe you a new fish and an apology. give him a day he may perk up. just don't overmedicate him. stick to the epsom salt. not all salts are created equally. epsom, aquarium salt and non-iodized table salt are a bit different. i've never used the table salt in aquaria. perhaps someone else has experience with that.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Still on his side. Can't reach the surface. Breathing appears to be becoming more labored. If I lower the water level in his cup anymore, his body will be exposed.

Don't want him to suffer. But I don't know what else to do for him.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
what kind of tank did he pull the water from? it could have a totally different ph than the water in the cup not to mention ammo.temp change, disease etc. when they are stressed ,their immune system is compromised. i would have waited with the wc until i had him home. i am in favor of taking time to acclimate betta. sometimes it takes me half a day. i test the lfs water and my own dechlorinated water before i put them in the tank. sorry you met up with an employee who has no clue. i'd call the store and let them know what is happening. little doubt in my mind that they don't test their aquariums everyday. and they usually use strip tests that are unreliable. if he dies they owe you a new fish and an apology. give him a day he may perk up. just don't overmedicate him. stick to the epsom salt. not all salts are created equally. epsom, aquarium salt and non-iodized table salt are a bit different. i've never used the table salt in aquaria. perhaps someone else has experience with that.
I don't know what kind of tank she pulled the water from. It was literally the one closest to where she was standing. (I was horrified.)

That's why, when I got him home, I acclimated him as best I could and put him into a 1 gal tank. I figured since she'd done a 100% water change with unknown water in one second's worth of time, that the water in my tank might be better. (My tap water's pH is close to 7, and I knew there was no ammonia or disease in it.)

Then, after he didn't seem to perk up, I figured he'd be better off in the 3 gallon since I could control the water parameters better.... But he still didn't perk up.

He's been hanging on for a week. But he never really looked good during that time.

The only things I have here are epsom salt and "sea salt." I'm thinking he may be beyond these though....
Old 12-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

Still on his side. He can't reach the surface, but if I lower the water level, his body will be exposed. Breathing is labored.........
Old 12-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

He just died........
Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #10 
TheCheese909

I'm so sorry! That sucks.. poor fella
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote