Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #1 
NoPurposeFlour

Chronic Fin Problems

In order to really understand my dilemma with this fish I need to explain his history. His name is Wulfred and he is a delta tail betta that I've been having chronic fin problems with. When I first got him from petco he seemed to be fine. He lived in a 4 gallon filtered tank and he was the only betta fish I had. About a month or two later he got popeye. I remember rushing out to the petstore with a water sample. Everything was fine, with the exception of ph, it need to be raised a bit. I got medicine and eventually his eye was fine. In April I realized his fins were a bit frayed and so I took out the plastic plants because I thought he tore his fins on them. (Yes, never using plastic plants again.) Then in May/June his fins were looking pretty bad. So I did frequent water changes, but nothing changed and I feared he had fin rot so I treated him with Fungus Clear for a week. I had never seen any black spots on his fins however. It was about this time when I decided to upgrade his tank to a ten gallon and have him share it with a new betta, Wesley. And so the two shared a tank, divided. In October, I noticed Wulfred again tearing his fins on the decor so I removed the skull-thing I had on his side. I soon replaced it with the pvc pipes. I had a suspicion that he was really just ripping his fins on the decor. I did more frequent water changes just in case. Recently his fins are getting worse and worse. I started with water changes, and then once he was being sluggish and kept missing his food when he tried to eat I quarantined him and I'm giving him Fungus Clear again, because I had a suspicion that he has Hemorrhagic Septicemia because of a red streak on him. Meanwhile my other fish who was in the same tank as him is completely fine with no health problems and full finage. I dunno if it is chronic fin rot, or just him ripping his fins on decor or fin biting. He has gotten much better in the past three days of water changes and medication. I just want a second opinion. Is this fish sick, or is he just anxious and nipping? I attached a picture of their tank also, if you see anything he can rip his fins on point it out please! Wulfred's side is the one without the filter. Thanks in advance!

What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75-80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? One other betta, divided.
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum Betta Formula
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-5 pellets a day.
How often do you perform a water change? Once weekly or biweekly.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat. Aquarium Salt.
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Yes. Normal. I forget everything besides ammonia. Derp.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: --
Nitrate: --
pH: --
Hardness: --
Alkalinity: --
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins slowly deteriorating.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Was lethargic, now fine.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? One-two weeks ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Jungle Fungus Clear for Hemorrhagic Septicemia and fin rot.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Around two?
Attached Images

Last edited by NoPurposeFlour; 12-09-2012 at 11:38 PM.
NoPurposeFlour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

He could be stressed from being in a divided tank. You say he is getting better without being in the tank, I suggest keeping him to himself for now.

Stop adding aquarium salt every water change. That is very VERY bad for their labyrinth organ. Betta fish are an exception to the AQ salt, as they have a labyrinth organ which is sensitive to over-use of salt. He could be feeling very ill from it, which is why his fins never grow back. Stress and sickness will have a betta's body focus on the problem rather than something minor such as fins.

The reason he got worse in a divided tank would probably because of the salt, which is taking a toll on him and not making him feel any better having the scent of another male around.

Slowly pull him off of the meds and salt, getting him back to fresh water. It may take a while for him to feel completely better, but he should get better without using salt ever.

Same with your other betta, slowly re-acclimate him to fresh water. Doing your regular water changes, just don't add salt.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #3 
NoPurposeFlour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
He could be stressed from being in a divided tank. You say he is getting better without being in the tank, I suggest keeping him to himself for now.

Stop adding aquarium salt every water change. That is very VERY bad for their labyrinth organ. Betta fish are an exception to the AQ salt, as they have a labyrinth organ which is sensitive to over-use of salt. He could be feeling very ill from it, which is why his fins never grow back. Stress and sickness will have a betta's body focus on the problem rather than something minor such as fins.

The reason he got worse in a divided tank would probably because of the salt, which is taking a toll on him and not making him feel any better having the scent of another male around.

Slowly pull him off of the meds and salt, getting him back to fresh water. It may take a while for him to feel completely better, but he should get better without using salt ever.

Same with your other betta, slowly re-acclimate him to fresh water. Doing your regular water changes, just don't add salt.
Sorry I wasn't very clear about the aquarium salt thing. I only started adding aquarium salt this past month when his fins were looking bad. So I doubt it was the salt.

Also, he was having fin problems well before I introduced him to the divided tank. I thought by giving him a bigger tank it would tackle his fin biting problem, which was what I thought he had at the time. And I thought that having another betta would distract him. The two bettas barely even notice the other, and rarely ever flare at each other. I dunno. Maybe I'm reading the situation wrong?

Thanks!
NoPurposeFlour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Ahh ok I was a bit worried about that!! Well, how warm is the 3 gallon quarantine? You could try adding Indian almond leaves, or dried oak leaves, which tends to help and plus they like it ;) stress or bad water quality can cause fin rot or fin biting.

So you have filters in the tanks he was in before? How heavy is the flow in the 10?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote