Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #1 
Syriiven

Muffling a whisper filter...

Anyone maybe know how to muffle a Tetra Whisper power filter for a 10g? The flow's too strong for my betta (like it pushes up the surface of the water strong) and I can't figure out how to use a sponge to muffle it. =/
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Hmm....you're talking about the internal filter right? This one?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #3 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Hmm....you're talking about the internal filter right? This one?
Similar, I'm using this one. Sorry for the wait, had to take the pic czuse I couldn't find it online =S

Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #4 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Oh I built my own little baffle out of K'nex that I don't use anymore. Here are some blurry pictures lol...

Or for the bigger one you could just get a plastic bottle, cut out a quarter of it lengthwise and tape it to the top part.
Attached Images

LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #5 
Syriiven

So how does it muffle it? Just diverting the flow?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Ah! The HOB one, awesome. I was going to suggest replacing the filter if it was the internal one.....those things have a really strong flow, and it is really difficult to baffle them. xP I had one in a 10 gallon a while back and the flow even troubled the non-betta fish I had in there, I REALLY disliked it.

I have a similar(older I think)Tetra Whisper HOB filter model in my 5 gallon that has lasted me over three years so far, I really like it.
You should be able to secure a bit of filter sponge right over the outflow with a rubber band or hair band that doesn't have any metal. Like so:

Just turn the filter off, put the sponge over the outflow, slip the rubber/hair band up and over the sponge and around the back of where the outflow-area of the filter hangs into the tank and it should stay in place just fine. You may need to shift the intake a little to slip it all into place(you should be able to wiggle it in behind where the intake goes up into the filter), but it shouldn't be a problem. The band will stretch out over time, so every once in a while you'll have to replace it, but other then that this method I've found works very well.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #7 
Syriiven

That's a really good idea, should've thought of it. I ended up using the pop-bottle method with a sponge to divert flow and raised the water level a bit. I'll see how they like it and if not may have to try yours. I had the sponge infront of the outflow but the sponges I got may be too thick, they started making the filter overflow completely >.>
Old 12-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #8 
DragonFish

Yeah, you may need to just try a different kind of sponge with bigger 'holes' to allow some water movement.

As for the water level, I notice most people seem to keep it kind of low but I actually never have.....I always fill all my tanks, even my divided ones, up almost all the way(up above the black 'line' in most standard tanks, though below the lip of course). I find that, along with being baffled, this really helps to slow the flow from the filter.

Good luck!!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #9 
Syriiven

Well the plants hardly move now, so the current seems good...but now I've had to post another thread in Betta Fishcare concerning their behaviour after trying to acclimate them . =/
Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #10 
DragonFish

Oh no, thats not good.... D: