Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #11 
jessp118

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGalletta View Post
Have the gills always been that brown color? The water chemistry basics link I sent names brown gills as a symptom of Nitrite poisoning. Just double check your symptoms against the link. Even if they've been brown since you got him, it's possible that it is a result of poor keeping at the pet store, but that wouldn't explain him not eating.
It has been like that since I got him. When he flares, the inside gills look pink and healthy. Currently he seems to be hanging at the bottom acting like he is looking for food. Which is very odd for him. I always see him at the top swimming around actively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
He doesnt look bloated from the pics. Can you take a picture from above, as that will allow us to better see if he has raised scales?

You may just want to fast him for a day or two and have him get whatever is clogged out of him.
When I looked him over while he was in the cup, raised scales was one of the first things i looked for. He has no raised scales. At 5 am this morning, his stomach was about 2-3 times the size it is now.

Last edited by jessp118; 12-10-2012 at 03:12 PM.
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #12 
JAGalletta

Probably just needed a good bowel movement, you could wait to feed him tomorrow, or if you try to feed him today and he doesn't eat it just remove the uneaten food from the tank.
JAGalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #13 
callistra

You need to use water conditioner even with well water. Even with no chlorine there will still be heavy metals and things. Prime is a good one.

You need to increase your water changes. This guide is good to let you know how often: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66595 You also need to test for more than ammonia since you are using a filter and doing less than 100% weekly water changes. This talks about the fish in cycle: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #14 
JAGalletta

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
You need to use water conditioner even with well water. Even with no chlorine there will still be heavy metals and things. Prime is a good one.

You need to increase your water changes. This guide is good to let you know how often: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=66595 You also need to test for more than ammonia since you are using a filter and doing less than 100% weekly water changes. This talks about the fish in cycle: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
+1
Old 12-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #15 
jessp118

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post

Never had a problem with the water before. I had alot of little fish in a 10 gallon years ago. Never had to condition the water before adding it to the tank. But i will pick up some prime when I can get to petco. He seems to be fine now, hungry and acting the same as when i first got him. Swimming around, being active, and making bubble nests.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #16 
jessp118

Sorry for a double post but I Cannot edit the last post. I did not buy prime because my water does not have what Prime was going to be removing. We get yearly water tests from our well and I will tell you what the tests say once I find it.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #17 
JAGalletta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessp118 View Post
Sorry for a double post but I Cannot edit the last post. I did not buy prime because my water does not have what Prime was going to be removing. We get yearly water tests from our well and I will tell you what the tests say once I find it.
I'm thinking he was just constipated. Just keep up with the water changes, and varied diet. However, freeze dried bloodworms tend to constipate the fish if fed too often. Fasting for a day a week is highly suggested. I think you're out of the woods on this one, but in order to stay out, I'd consider a bit of research on your fish's diet to see what he really needs.

It would definitely be interesting to see your well water test results.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #18 
jessp118

Here is the well water results

PH: 7.53
Nitrate: < 0.01 mg/L
Nitrite: < 0.004 mg/L
Sodium: 7.9 mg/L
Iron: < 0.01 mg/L
Manganese: < 0.008 mg/L
Potassium: 1.7 mg/L
Calcium: 10 mg/L