Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #1 
pittipuppylove

Hydor Theo heater issues

Hey guys,

I'm having some problems with my Hydor Theo heaters and could use some help. Three of the five tanks I have running at the moment use a Theo - a 50W in a 10 gallon, a 50W in a 5 gallon, and a 25W in my 2.5 gallon hospital tank. During the day they usually stay pretty stable, but when I check on them in the morning the temperature has fallen into the low 70's and the indicator light isn't even on (so the heater isn't even trying to keep up). The other two heaters - one generic brand in a 15 gallon and a Fluval M50 in a 5 gallon - have a similar problem, but the net change between day and night isn't quite as severe. I think it may be the temperature fluctuations in my room - at night the heater turns on and bakes the room, so I have to open a window, which brings the temperature of the room down to around 60*F. There is no way for me to manually adjust the thermostat - it's either 80*F with the windows closed or 60*F with one window cracked open an inch. In addition to all of this, I can't trust the settings on the thermostats at all because they're off; for example, one of them is set to 88*F but heats the tank to 78*F, while another one is set to 75*F but heats to 78*F. I'm confused because all of my heaters are adjustable and therefore have a thermostat - if the water gets below the temperature I set it to (78-80*F in the betta tanks), shouldn't the heater stay running to try and catch up? And I'm also very concerned because I know that such temperature fluctuations are extremely stressful to the fish. Any advice on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Leah
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #2 
sareena79

wow I ALMOST bought a hydor theo too b/c Id heard such good reviews on them. how long have u had the heaters, can they be returned?...I actually bought a generic one and was scared it wouldnt work but its been going strong now for over a week holding my temp right at 80F without any tinkering. heres a link to the one I bought if u wanna give it a try its only $8 with free shipping... http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-50W-Fish...item484b9f5891

Last edited by sareena79; 12-10-2012 at 10:31 AM.
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #3 
sandybottom
Reference Team

is it possible to cover your tanks at night? i run into the same problems. i'm in mankato, just a couple of hours north of you. i live in a trailer where one room is cold and the next is hot. you could try rolling a towel up and putting it in between the window and the sash. some cold will come thru hopefully. or try having the window open just a sliver like 1/4" or so and open it an hour before the heat comes on. i'd highly monitor these though. you get any snow yesterday? we got about 3-4" here. did i mention how much i loath the winter? how old are your heaters,and are they submersible?
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #4 
pittipuppylove

I've had the heaters anywhere from two to ten weeks; they've typically been pretty decent and have kept the tank at a steady temp. And in all honesty, I don't know if returning them and getting new heaters will help much if the issue is the room temperature fluxuations - especially since I've had roughly the same problem with my other heaters to a lesser degree. All of my heaters are fully submersable except for the generic, which needs to have the top inch or so above water. I'm afraid I don't have much to cover them up with other than towels, and I don't know how much good that would do for insulation. But I'll definitely try putting a towel in the window and playing with how much I open it.

We got some snow, but hardly any of it stuck since the ground hadn't fully frozen and we were hanging just above freezing temperature-wise. But by yesterday afternoon, it'd gotten cold enough that the melted ice started to freeze up - and we now have ice everywhere. I actually really like winter as a whole, but the whole icey sidewalks and poorly-insulated, crappily heated dorm room make things rather irksome. lol Day before last, I could walk around campus without a coat and be perfectly comfortable. Silly Iowa.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #5 
sandybottom
Reference Team

minnesota is the same way with the crazy a@$ weather. when it gets to 40 deg. in the spring, do people wear shorts and flip flops too? i actually have to go out today and get a new heater for my sons christmas betta tank. it came with a tetra 50w and it only keeps it at 74. his betta is waiting to get in there. i hate keeping him in a 1 gallon,but atleast he's at 80 right now. i think its 5 degrees out side right now. do you have a fan you can run in conjunction with having the window cracked to distribute the temp evenly around your room. where are the heat registers in your room located? could you partially cover them without it being a fire hazard? forced air should work. but if its an actual heat register you couldn't.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #6 
pittipuppylove

lol Oh yes - I'm one of those people. But we also have some people who are dead set on wearing shorts and flip flops all year. I guess I've kinda gotten used to the cold - my family always goes up to the Boundry Waters area over New Years, so I take the temperatures here in Iowa with an "it could be worse" attitude.

And I'd have to agree with you on the 1 gallon tank - I'd think that a smaller, warm tank is better temporarily than a tank that's larger but a bit too cold. Yup, I have a fan running at night to help keep things moving (heck, I have it on most of the time anyway because the room gets stuffy otherwise). The register is located directly under the windows - I can't really cover anything up because it's recessed into the wall and covered by a metal plate, plus I'm fairly sure that it's against school policy to cover the heaters. The building itself was built in the 1950's and hasn't been updated since, so the windows are horribly inefficient.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #7 
sandybottom
Reference Team

yup, we have those here too. chapped legs and booty shorts at -20 deg. would a fan pointing out the window help at all? otherwise i think you are gonna have to upgrade your heaters. they sound like the tetra 50w i have. i just upgraded to an aquatop 100w. probably a little overkill. the room he will be in is a bit on the cool side. tough one.. i'll keep trying to brainstorm.