Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #1 
OrangeAugust

how long will a plant be ok in the inflated bag?

I want to get some more fanwort. I'm going out tonight and I'll be right near the Petsmart, so I'd like to stop there and pick it up before I go to my destination (the store will be closed by the time I'm on my way home). Usually they give you the plant in a bag and blow it up with air. Will the plant do ok in there for about 2.5 hours? I'll bring it inside with me so it's not sitting in my 45 degree car. It should be fine, right?
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #2 
DiiQue

I've had plants in a bag for over 5+hours (bought them during lunch time) and just kept the bag in the office. They did fine when I brought them home. Also, people buy plants online all the time and they get shipped in plastic bags -- some travelling in this way for a day or two... so you should be fine.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #3 
shellieca

Yep it'll be fine at least mine have always been. I pick up a plant or two on my lunch & it'll sit in the bag for about 6 hrs by the time I get home & am able to take it out.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #4 
OrangeAugust

Ok, cool. Oh, I never thought about the fact that the plants get shipped in the bag.
Thanks!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #5 
Mo

The plants aren't grown at the store. They are shipped there which is a process that can take multiple days. They'll be fine for that amount of time
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:22 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

^+1

most plants whih can be grown emmersed can e kept indefinitely in a bag, under the right conditions.

Cabomba generally cannot be grown emmersed, but that shouldnt be a problem if you are only keeping it in there for a few hours.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #7 
OrangeAugust

I went to Petsmart but they didn't have any Fanwort (or cabomba, as aokashi corrects me all the time. haha) But they didn't have any!! Petsmart calls it a "frill plant", btw... I forgot that I usually go on Wednesdays and that's when they get their shipments in. But they did have water wisteria and I did need another plant for my girls side of the divided tank, so I got some of that and I love it! It looks so nice in my tank! I'm going to go back today and get a few more bunches so I can line the back wall so Fishie stops flaring and I can put more in Jasper's side because she has been stressed since I took out her "Aqua Fern" that I got from Petco that turns out not even to be aquatic! And also get some Cabomba/Fanwort/Frill plant. All my hornwort survived my last AQ salt treatment (and is over a foot long now), but all my fanwort turned into bare stalks.
The point of my post was to say that the water wisteria did fine in the bag and I even left it in my car for 2 hours- it was warmer outside than I thought, over 50 degrees- and it was totally fine.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

XD glad you found the magic of water wisteria! and Im not correcting yoy! they're both correct!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote