Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #11 
kimbooffmarz

I stumbled upon Chytrid fungus online when my other frog was showing signs if illness just two days ago... It's a disease that can take months to show up and the frog usually has the fungus when you get it from the pet store. Sad and almost always leads to death but there are a few treatments that can reduce the chance of death like the lamisil one. If it is the fungus then my other frog definitely has it and is just a ticking time bomb really...
kimbooffmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #12 
lakemalawifish

Good for you to research all of this! Then I would say you do need to medicate the other frog. Thanks for sharing this info with me also, that is how we all learn! Keep an update going, hoping for the best!!
lakemalawifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #13 
Juicebox

give your bowl a good clean out,take out the frog leave him in a tub of tank water or some container with the old tank water in it while you scrub the tank out,refill the tank with water add your water conditioner,heat it up to right temperature and then put the frog back in..

id say take out the gravel alltogether like someone else said,in case the old food is rotting under there and causing high amonia.just make sure he has some decoration or fake plant to hide in. for now use a bare bottom tank or try buy a bag of sand,sand is only 3 dollar in home depot for like 20 pounds of play sand. you put enough in a bucket,u swish it around in some water and then drain out the water,repeat this process 3 or 4 times then put the sand into ur empty bowl,then add water slowly and gently..

about your water changes, when you change water are you just pouring cold unconditioned tap water into the tank on top of the frogs?best to fill up a bucket with 2 or 3 gallons of warmish water,try match the temperature as much as u can to 77 degrees,then add your water conditioner,then after a minute or 2 put it into your tank..

id recomend not gettin another frog for this small tank,if your other remaining frog does die too :( i would say just go to petco/petsmart and get a betta fish for now,they are hardier than the frogs and when u buy your 10 gallon u can keep the betta in there with 2 or 3 new frogs
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It also could be ammonia poisoning.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #15 
lakemalawifish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
give your bowl a good clean out,take out the frog leave him in a tub of tank water or some container with the old tank water in it while you scrub the tank out,refill the tank with water add your water conditioner,heat it up to right temperature and then put the frog back in..

id say take out the gravel alltogether like someone else said,in case the old food is rotting under there and causing high amonia.just make sure he has some decoration or fake plant to hide in. for now use a bare bottom tank or try buy a bag of sand,sand is only 3 dollar in home depot for like 20 pounds of play sand. you put enough in a bucket,u swish it around in some water and then drain out the water,repeat this process 3 or 4 times then put the sand into ur empty bowl,then add water slowly and gently..

about your water changes, when you change water are you just pouring cold unconditioned tap water into the tank on top of the frogs?best to fill up a bucket with 2 or 3 gallons of warmish water,try match the temperature as much as u can to 77 degrees,then add your water conditioner,then after a minute or 2 put it into your tank..

id recomend not gettin another frog for this small tank,if your other remaining frog does die too :( i would say just go to petco/petsmart and get a betta fish for now,they are hardier than the frogs and when u buy your 10 gallon u can keep the betta in there with 2 or 3 new frogs
Very good advice :)
lakemalawifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

http://ripariumsupply.com/?wpsc-prod...planter-2-pack If you want plants in a bare bottom tank this is good.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #17 
kimbooffmarz

When I clean my tank I take everything out and am able to swish the gravel around in hot water so I know it is clean. And I fill the tank with water of the right temperature and use conditioner and if it needs more time to reach normal temperature I leave it for a bit before slowly acclimitizing the frogs to it. I also feed using a baster so i know there is extremely small amounts of food waste if any. And I originally had a betta but he was not in such great health when I got him and died. I am not planning on getting anymore critters until I have a much bigger tank. I think I will try to treat the last frog for Chytrid and see what happens.
Thank you for the great information. Would you recommend sand for fish as well or is it mostly just used for frogs?
kimbooffmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I use sand in all my tanks. For ADFs I have read they will eat the gravel and die.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #19 
Juicebox

gravel is fine as long as its big enough not to fit into the frogs mouth in case they swallow some, they will die, sand or gravel its up to you,sand is easier to spot clean than gravel i find,it comes down to personal preference. some people hate sand,some love it,i think it looks better than gravel specially if your going to be planting live plants
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My plants love sand.

Tags
african dwarf frogs, illness, infection, red growth, wont eat