Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #31 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
@hannah16 start a petition like with the link you gave us!
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #32 
hannah16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy314 View Post
@hannah16 start a petition like with the link you gave us!
To stop Petco baby betta sales? I could do that. How many signatures should I ask for?
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #33 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
The bowl looks to small and there is no heater.
Bowls and tanks rarely come with anything unless you are buying a "Starter kit" of some sort. I'm still saving up money to buy the hood for the 20 gallon tank I got on sale with no accessaries what so ever. I also don't know the size of the bowl since I don't want to give that site views. So I'm assuming that if the bowl was 1-2 gallons, it would be possible to have a betta in it with a heater and some type of decore purchased separately.

I'm just saying that a tank can look cute enough to get a little kids attention without being evil. My problem isn't with the teddy tank being a tank inside a teddy bear. My problem is with the teddy tank being a tank inside a teddy bear children are supposed to play with.

This tank bugs me because it turns living creatures that need to be taken care of just like cats, dogs, bunnies, ect into a play thing. It's bad enough that adults view fish as decore, but now kids are going to view fish as toys.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #34 
nel3

its definetely creative but a bad idea if a child is to play with the toy. it does say it contains a 1g bowl which makes it decent in some ways but 1g bowls are still high maintenace. it'd be a fun thing to get only if its not the be threashed around by children. its ok if it just stays in 1 location and is moved only for WC reasons. i still wouldnt buy this for any one given its limited use in controlled situations.

@ snowy surface: i agree your oppinion that kids are encouraged to play with it and thus think that way as far as fish go. i dont mind the tank much itself, i really do mind the teddy bear part of the "setup."

Last edited by nel3; 12-14-2012 at 09:10 AM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #35 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Pets are play toys but ones you care for and interact with they are also part of the family.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #36 
SnowySurface

Hmm....that may be true for cats, dogs, gerbils, and other pets that can play in the sense of fetch and with toys. But you can't really play with fish the way you play with cats and dogs. To encourage active play with a fish in children will lead to dead fish, imo. : /
Old 12-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #37 
bettasareawesome

just so you guys know you can start a petition that says it's animal cruelty on a website called change.org and after so much people sign it it will be sent to the government or wherever and they will think about it and they have agreed to some petitions heres the link if anyones interested http://www.change.org/en-AU/petition...he-white-house
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #38 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
Hmm....that may be true for cats, dogs, gerbils, and other pets that can play in the sense of fetch and with toys. But you can't really play with fish the way you play with cats and dogs. To encourage active play with a fish in children will lead to dead fish, imo. : /
I disagree they can learn tricks and interact with people.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #39 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I disagree they can learn tricks and interact with people.
True.

I'm not saying you can't play or intereact with a fish at all. I'm saying that something that makes children think they can play with a fish like they play with a dog or cat is bad.

Examples:

Dog: Can bring to the park to play in the snow
Fish: Once brought to the park to "play in the snow", freezes to death

Cat: Can be leashed trained like a dog and taken for walks
Fish: Can not be taken for walks because travel is stressful

I didn't mean to make it sound like you can't do more with a fish than feed it. But it does have "play limits" that other pets don't have.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #40 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My Betta is more interactive and affectionate than my dog.