Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #1 
aemaki09

Couldn't resist any longer! And now I have a question!!

On black friday I went to the pet store and saw this gorgeous blue marbled lil CT boy and I fell in love instantly but had to resist.
Earlier last week I went back to the same store and he was still there. Still resisted the urge, I have like zero extra space for males right now.
BUT I saw a post on here a little earlier and I cant remember who it was, but they bought 2 new girls and one was marbled. I kept thinking about the blue marbled boy I saw and decided that I couldn't hold out any longer so I skipped the rest of my class and went to the pet store.
While there I saw a blue marbled female CT, and figured I'd pick her up to (who could resist when you have a sorority tank and she's only a dollar!)
Anyways. I bought the boy and girl, they both look pretty young, the male is I'm guessing 3-4 months and the female is about 2/3 his size. They are so cute!!

Now on to my question. The male is acting really lethargic, and he has some weird black looking stuff coming out of his gills. I'm not sure if thats normal or not because all my other males are dark colored.
All of my other guys would atleast explore their new homes a little when I brought them home and he's just sitting around, I gave him a few pellets and he tried to eat a couple but spit them right back out.
He's also mouthing a lot and his left gill cover is kind of stuck in a "half flare" if that makes sense, but its only one side?
I know i've only had him for a couple hours so I need to let him adjust and get used to his surroundings before he'll come out of his shell, but I feel like something is wrong, I cant put my finger on what it is and its hard to describe what exactly he is doing that is so weird, but this guy is just so gorgeous I"m scared I'm going to lose him

Here are some pics of the new babies!!
Can someone please tell me what that is on his gills?
Attached Images

aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #2 
Karebear13

Female is gorgeous. And the male I don't see anything wrong with his gill. If he has been in the petshop for that long he maybe suffering from ammonia poisoning. Do you have anything to test the water in his water cup if you still have it.

He is probably really stressed out. I would just leave him a dark quiet room tonight and make sure his water is warm. Hopefully he will be feeling better by tomorrow. Sometimes aq salt helps but I don't if its necessary
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #3 
aemaki09

thanks.
I was going to test the water, but it slipped my mind and I dumped it out before i remembered again.
It doesnt really look like he has any ammonia burns though. I'm going to keep an eye on him tonight and if he's still acting "off" I'll probably try some AQ salt tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #4 
n3wport

ooooh I cant wait to see how he qwill look once he colors up more! He is going to be sooo pretty!!! Im sure he will be fine, sometimes clean water and more space can cure some of the weirdest stuff!
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #5 
aemaki09

Thanks!
I hope I'm just worrying for nothing. But I'd rather be safe than sorry, I have a lot of experience with betta's but not much with illnesses. They were the only marbled ones (other than VT"s) in the store, actually in any store I've been to around here so I'd hate to lose him. I cant wait for him to fill out and color up either. I'm hoping he brightens up a little bit once he gets acclimated. Thinking about possibly trying to spawn them in a few months if all goes well.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #6 
MidTnBetta

Aww good luck with him! I'm the one with the females ;)

I love your girl too! I'm starting to be turned on to the marbles.
MidTnBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #7 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTnBetta View Post
Aww good luck with him! I'm the one with the females ;)

I love your girl too! I'm starting to be turned on to the marbles.
Oops! Haha
There's something about not knowing what exactly they'll look like in the end that intrigues me. Normally I don't really like light colored bettas but marbles are the exception
Old 12-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #8 
Karebear13

how's the boy doing?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #9 
aemaki09

He isnt moving unless I force him to. Just floating at the surface, I thought he was dead till I stuck my finger in there to see if he was alive. He still won't even look at the food today
Old 12-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #10 
Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
I couldn't hold out any longer so I skipped the rest of my class and went to the pet store.
LOL....this is hysterical.

I hope the male gets better. The two of them look like a match made in heaven, they would have some wonderful looking offspring.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote