Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #1 
maggnolia

Smile new setup for my fishies, 1st time with a tank.

My first tank! It took a few days for me to set up, but now I have Kingston & Barnaby's new home up & running. Thanks to my awesome bf who got a great deal on the tank/filter package. Nothing crazy, just a 5 gallon that I've split down the middle. I used sand & all live plants including, anubis, argentinian sword, & my little marimo in there. Even after reading how sand may be a little difficult, I went with it anyway because I love the way it looks. I had to rinse the sand & soak it overnight bc it did bleed a little color. However, after all of that & a few days of filtration the water looks great.

Their old 1 gal. bowls ...

supplies used...

In progress...

The finished product!

& one last close up of my little marimo, it's just so cute!

I'm shopping around for more plants while I let the tank cycle for another week or so before I put the boys in. I'm open to any advice & suggestions you may have for me & would appreciate it very much!
maggnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #2 
aemaki09

That looks amazing!!
What is that yellow plant?
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #3 
maggnolia

Thank you aemaki09! It's one of the Argentinian swords, the lighting behind it is making it look yellow
Old 12-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #4 
aemaki09

I've never heard of those. It looks really interesting, I'd like to have one in one of my tanks! I'll have to look into them a little bit
Old 12-11-2012, 02:17 AM   #5 
maggnolia

I get all my plants at petsmart/petco. They're the live aquatic plants that come in the tubes. This particular one I got at petco for about $8 for the whole bunch, all the stems on the other side of the tank are part of it
Old 12-11-2012, 02:49 AM   #6 
aemaki09

my petsmart doesnt sell the tubes, they have an open tank with plants but dont carry that. and I dont have a petco in my area either. If I want anything special I normally have to order online.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #7 
pittipuppylove

Congrats on your new tank - it looks great and I'm sure your boys will be thrilled with their new home! Just a couple things with the plants... It's kinda hard to see in the picture, but is the rhizome of the Anubias buried? If so, it will begin to rot and the plant will die. Amazon Swords are very cool plants! I have one in my 15 gallon and it's a great ammonia sink. They will, given the chance, get very large and send out massive root systems - I had to uproot mine once and the roots stretched the almost the legnth of the tank. This is one plant that will really benefit from regular, weekly fertalization to keep them healthy and happy.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #8 
maggnolia

thank you pittipuppylove! I guess I should pull the Anubias out a little bc I did bury it
Old 12-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #9 
aemaki09

Pulling it up would be a good idea. It would also look really cool of you attached it to the pots you have in there
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Whats going to happen to the third one?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote