Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #1 
rezicca

Shredded tail

So, I just went to entertain my VT and what do you know.

Two long shreds in the middle of his anal fin.

I don't even.

He's already being treated for finrot. Aq salt, water changes daily.

So, what should I do about these tears?

I don't even know what he tore his fins on. Maybe he got caught in his plant? I dunno.

Anyways, treating the tears.. Anything I can do other than wait?
rezicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #2 
Syriiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezicca View Post
So, I just went to entertain my VT and what do you know.

Two long shreds in the middle of his anal fin.

I don't even.

He's already being treated for finrot. Aq salt, water changes daily.

So, what should I do about these tears?

I don't even know what he tore his fins on. Maybe he got caught in his plant? I dunno.

Anyways, treating the tears.. Anything I can do other than wait?
Plastic plants and filter intakes are bad for bettas because their fins are practically gossamer. Pretty, but high maintenance.

As for fin-rot...unless it looks like the fin's melting or has red/black on the edges where it's torn, it's more likely just a tear or he's a tail-biter

My VT is a notorious fin-biter. He literally swims in a circle chasing his tail and bites his tail. The reason? No one really knows.

Sometimes it's associated with stress, boredom, or even left over aggression.

For finrot: aq salt and 100% water changes for a few days until you see new growth (it'll be white'clear but clean)

For torn fins: can put new pantyhose around the filter intake with an elastic (no metal on it), replace plastic plants with silk ones, including trimming off any plastic thorns. To test how sharp a plant is, run it over nylon. If it catches or tears the nylon, it's bad for your betta.

Tail-biting: Some people advice adding regular stress coat+ to his water changes so that if he does bite his tail, he has the proper additive to keep it clean and help it grow again. AQ salt works great too. I'm currently using both since he seems to be a in a 'mood' this week. Also, I change around his tank decor every two water changes to keep him entertained with 'new' scenery. And then I also make sure to have flaring exercises with him (I do it for all of mine really, but his is the most important). My little Phy is aggressive and gets bored sometimes, so I just hold a mirror up to him to flare at for a minute or two then slowly pull it away, letting him 'win' the contest. I'll do it a few times an hour, maybe 2 or 3, 4 max. Then he'll patrol is tank, flaring and being the king of the tank and he doesnt have another biting episode for at least a few days to a week.

In all of these cases, the aq salt helps the wound stay clean and helps re-growth. keeping the water clean will help keep fin-rot away. Phy gets a 50% and 100% water change weekly, about 3 days apart. Same with Demi in her 3g. I would do maybe a 30-50% for a 5g, and my 10g gets 50% once a week unless I thin something's wrong with it. But clean water helps keep out most infections without the help of additives.

Sorry for the long response, but I hope it helped!

Hope this info helps, sorry for the long post.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #3 
Syriiven

I should also add, that another reason tail-biters continue to bite their tail is suspected to be that they can swim faster without their long beautiful tail dragging them down.

So Phy will let his grow a little bit, just till it starts looking nice and even and like today, I come home to tatters. I'm sorry, but if your VT turns out to be a habitual tail-biter, you'll probably have to deal with it for the rest of his life. Clean water and aq salt on hand is key xD
Old 12-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #4 
rezicca

I know that he's a fin nipper and typically, I'm pretty good at finding distractions for him. Do the mirror thing for him pretty frequently. He loves it. Plus, he lives a few feet from Chou, my other boy, and occasionally I'll move the paper that blocks them from seeing each other. Keeps them entertained.

This is just.. really, really bad. I don't know how he could have torn his fin though. His plants are all silk. There are a few edges that point out, but I don't know how that would be sharp enough. Did the panty hose test with it. Got nothing. It's kind of annoying. Haha.

I'm already doing daily water changes for the both of them, because Chou got some pretty bad ammonia burns when being shipped home and because it looks like Mizuchi got a few as well.

I'll try to get more plants for a better variety. Thanks for the advice. ^^

My dad raises and breeds cichlids and this tear really freaked him out. Guess that should scare me, too, then.
rezicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #5 
Syriiven

=) happy to help a fellow betta-owner who has to deal with the fin-nipping. Stay strong! xD