Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #11 
LittleBlueFishlets

Sorry, I'm too new to bettas to comment on her health -- but I really like her new tank and the way you've set it up.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

Hello, and welcome to the forum and the world of betta-keeping. :)
I agree with the others, she's pretty fat and I see a budge on her side. Fast her for 2-3 days and if the bloating isn't gone, do an Epsom Salt treatment. (We'll get to that later)

Aqueon Betta Food isn't bad, but it's not really good either.. I recommend New Life Spectrum Betta Formula or Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets. Pellets are best as the staple diet, and NLS food is better than Omega because NLS doesn't have wheat gluten.
And, 5 gallons is perfect! She should be really happy in there. ^.^ She's a VT.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #13 
sainthogan

5 gallon is good, just be sure to get a lid and cover all of the holes with a breathable cloth or loosely taped cardboard so she can still breath. My girl jumped out of her tank through a tiny hole in the lid, and was out of the water at least a half an hour before I found her. She's ok, but other fish aren't so lucky when they jump out, so please, please, please get a lid and cover all the holes.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Keep an Eye to make sure no health problems come up.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #15 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
The water is not too high for the betta but barely like a cm lower for a lid.
my tanks have almost 2,5 fingers till the lid, I wouldn't want them hitting the lid when tempted to jump. Also gives them a little more air since the tank is pretty well closed mine is at least. I always leave the lid partially open for a few here and there so new air can be in.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Its better to have it filled up and not to the lid Bettas prfer the humid air. Plus Bettas will drown without surface access.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #17 
xtcking

kozmaniac22, Welcome! so far by the looks of things. Your already giving your betta a much better life than her last owner did! This is the forum to be on for bettas, any questions you have, just keep posting them here and I'm sure you will keep getting very knowledgeable answers! shes a pretty fish and your tank looks really nice! Im sure shes really appreciates the new home!!
xtcking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #18 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Its better to have it filled up and not to the lid Bettas prfer the humid air. Plus Bettas will drown without surface access.
I dont like it that way and I lift the lid because it needs oxygen there has to be a hole somewhere to let it in, so until then I raise it. Am very aware of the humid air tho.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #19 
Syriiven

You seem to be doing well already with her =) I definitely agree she looks super bloated and letting her fast a day or two won't harm her. I haven't found New Life Spectrum anywhere, but the Omega One Betta Pellets (be sure to get pellets, not flakes! as flakey food can be a direct cause of bloating and make the water messy) are small and my four bettas eat them no problem.

You also might want to consider some live/frozen food like daphnia or bloodworms. Though I'll admit the blood worms are gross, betta LOVE them. Just take care when feeding. Not more than 2-3 pellets twice a day, and the frozen blood worms I only feed mine 3-5 once a day (since they're quite long and altogether a bigger meal than just pellets).

I don't know about females vs males jumping, but my female is a regular jumper just for fun or to get to her food if she finds herself on the wrong side of the leaf I always feed her on =P But she can definitely get some speed and height.

But I think what you're doing for her already is wonderful and a big improvement for her! Welcome to the forums, and good luck with your new betta friend!
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #20 
kozmaniac22

I really appreciate the feedback everyone! This is a wonderful forum. I'm amazed at how active and helpful everyone is. I just ordered a lid and am usin some plastic wrap in the meantime to keep her from escaping. I'll let you all know how the fasting goes as well. I'm also planning on getting her some bloodworms.

I must say, I definitely did not plan on getting a Betta, but she sure is fun and may be one of the best "accidental" things that ever happened to me. Thanks again!
kozmaniac22 is offline   Reply With Quote