Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #1 
MidTnBetta

New females

So... I made the ever dreaded trip to the pet store as I knew I would be coming home with another betta. Of course I only went in to get some snails for my tanks. Walked out with two plecos and two female crown tail juvies as they didn't have any snails. (well they had some nerites (?), but they were "private store snails". He's ordering me some apple snails.

So I've got two plecos in my ten gallon right now. (Yes I know bad size for them, but they're about an inch long and my tank has horrible algae right now. A friend's already said she'll take them for her 40 gallon tank when they get bigger.)

Then mom and I went to check out the bettas. Horrible conditions. They had two juvie males in maybe half gallon square box shaped "bowls." Three of the cups were so green you couldn't see the Cambodian males in it. They also had just gotten in a shipment of adult female "regular bettas" which turned out to be VTs. And a shipment of juvie gorgeous colored CTs. They had a few stunning cambodian females, one wildtype (?) female, 2 turquoise females, 2 blue marbled, and one juvie black and red male CT was in the tank with the females. All these were mayyyyybe an inch long if you were blinking when you measured. I wound up with one of the turquoise females (ultimately plan to breed her to the male in my avatar- Atlas) and one of the blue marbles. I've never been a big marbling fan, but she's actually really pretty. She's got black eyes, and black "lip liner" around her mouth. She's also got a tiny bit of red on her tail. The blue female has the typical black head with a greenish wash to her. She also has what I laughed at when I saw her. She's got the black head, but looks like a blue frown above her nose. Just a tiny tiny strip of blue that looks like maybe a mustache? I've got to get a better camera to take pics, but here's some from when I got them in the car from the store. It's raining and miserable out today, so no natural light to take photos.

Also got some java moss for the tank. He's ordering me some moss balls. He had some, but they were the kind that sink to the bottom, and I wanted the floating ones.

Her tail is split, but don't know if it's possible for her to be a DT CT or if she's just been nipped.

As you can tell my phone does not like to take close ups, but rather focuses more on what's behind whatever I'm taking the picture of. lol I will get more pics once they settle in. I need names for these two plus the plecos. I'm thinking of calling the plecos Leroy and Jethro lol.
MidTnBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Aw they look pretty! I hope they are not in the same bag anymore? Lol that could be the cause of the fin nip.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #3 
MidTnBetta

No they were in a community tank with nothing but two moss balls for about 15 females. And of course the one CT juvie male he didn't pull out. They had two 10-15 gallon tanks that had females in it. One held the adult VT females, and the bottom tank held the juvie female CTs. These two I got partially since they were the ones everyone was picking on. Although the blue girl can give it right back. I noticed the marbled girl's tail was split in the tank. One or two more had slight splits which is why I'm not sure if they're showing a DT gene or if they've just been bullied.

ETA: They were stressed but do have an appetite. I got some frozen blood worms I chopped up for the girls and fed whole for the boys. The girls ate several small pieces, and Newbie was really the only male who'd eat them. Go figure. The girls also got some crushed pellets.

Last edited by MidTnBetta; 12-10-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #4 
aemaki09

I saw a blue marbled ct male that looks exactly like her the other day. I can't get him out of my head seeing this just made me decide to skip the rest of class and buy him lol
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #5 
homegrown terror

i'm guessing that was Animal City in murfreesboro? they (like The Aquatic Critter) have so many fish they take good care of, but consider their bettas to be "throwaway fish" and don't give a rat's chili-maker for them, and that really bothers me.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Aw, they're so cute!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #7 
MidTnBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
i'm guessing that was Animal City in murfreesboro? they (like The Aquatic Critter) have so many fish they take good care of, but consider their bettas to be "throwaway fish" and don't give a rat's chili-maker for them, and that really bothers me.
No, Pet Planet here in Shelbyville. Their selection is... modest... at best fish wise. They've got a ton of reptiles and other furry pets they take great care of, but their care for bettas leaves a lot to be desired. The guy and I had a 30 minute convo on care for them. Started off with him talking about how he'd spawned and gotten fry, but they didn't live long (wonder why?) and it went from there. I asked if he was hiring, and he said no, but to check back with him. So maybe I can get on there and help the poor bettas. I've worked in LPSs prior and I never let any of our tanks get that bad. And we always had a huge selection of fish. Theirs ranged from 2 angelfish, to mollies and platties. The plecos and guppies. Then goldfish of course. Their salt water selection is low too. But I normally just go in there for supplies.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:02 AM   #8 
MidTnBetta

I do have to say, I am a super proud mama of Newbie though. He's my most docile male. I put him in my ten gallon with these two girls and the plecos, and he's not bothered a soul. He's looked at them and gave them the inquisitive nudge, and not looked at them since. He did spend 10 minutes chasing the plecos til he got bored and gave up. Of course I'm keeping an eagle eye on him, and my tank is directly across from my couch in the living room, so it makes it easier. But so far so good. I think he's going to be able to stay with them. I had my hospital tank set up for separation just in case, but so far so good. He's not even flared at them.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 AM   #9 
MidTnBetta

Okay so the girls have finally started settling in to their surroundings. Got a couple pictures of the plecos too. Normally one stays in the hide hole, and the other stays on my shark, but happened to catch them out after I did a water change. I've been putting the girls in a cup in the tank to eat so that they don't have to swim so far. Spoiled rotten they are. Ignore the algae in the tank. That's part of the stupid bloom I've had happen again. After scrubbing everything in boiling water. Including filter, gravel, etc. The plecos are having a field day with it though.

Leroy on the left, Jethro on the right. (Named after Gibbs on NCIS)

Still needs a name. The bubbles are algae... strings (?) that are on my plant. I can't figure out how to get rid of the daggum algae but don't want to stress the girls.

She's colored up nicely. Still needs a name.

The girls, and my wall of algae.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #10 
MidTnBetta

The black blob behind her is Newbie (My round tail male). He's such a good big "brother" to them.