Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

My Betta has an external parasite

He is flashing against tank decorations and has lethargic moments when he lays on his side at the surface. I have AQ salt on hand. He is a brownish color with gold colors on his fins. It's been there for while and I was wondering of it was velvet but he hasn't started flashing or acting lethargic until now.

My question is, when I move him to the hospital tank do I have to treat his five gallon tank too or will the parasite still live in it after I take him out? I really don't want to strip it because its starting to cycle. I'd like to leave at least one decoration for him in the hospital tank. Is this okay? Do I need substrate in his hospital tank? It is a one gallon. I'm in a hurry and have to get back to school so I won't be able to start treatment for a few hours.

Thanks!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

My understanding is that velvet is more of a rust color. Have you looked at him using a flashlight? It doesn't sound like velvet to me but I'm not seeing what you are. If it is velvet from what I understand it can be treated by blacking out the tank & I think raising the temp. As for the tank you're moving him out of, you will need to make sure it has ammonia source to keep theBB alive while he's not in it otherwise your BB will die off. The hospital tank can have whatever you want in it, I usually leave mine bare bottomed.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

This is the newest picture I have of him. I haven't been able to get good pictures because he hasn't sat still, but now he is having lethargic moments and laying on his side on the surface.

This is a bit older one. You can see on his body where he looks blue, and the darker spots are brown. You may be able to describe them as rusty. He doesn't have gold specks when I shine a flashlight on him, and I have been doing that daily for the past few weeks, BUT his gills are a lighter reddish color that shine gold in a flashlight.

I took a better picture of the color and posted it on another thread awhile back so I will search for it to give you a better idea of the brown I am talking about, but in the last pictures you can clearly see where he is blue on his body and where he is not. He also has a yellowish tint to his caudal fin and a reddish tint to his anal fin in one spot. It's like a long stripe that doesn't quite touch his body.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

I left him in the dark before I came back to school. His tank is covered with a blanket. I believe velvet can still be treated with AQ salt or other types of medications, but I need to know whether or not I need to disinfect the entire 5 gallon tank while he's in the hospital tank?

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 12-12-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #5 
sainthogan

It sounds like velvet, given his coloring and the flashing against objects. You are right, he may have had it for quite sometime already, as was the case with my girl (she came home from the store with it). Sometimes, it's very difficult to see on certain colors of fish and looks more like a greying or dulling of color. My girl is brownish red, so it was very hard to spot at first, until she had it very badly.
I never put my girl in a smaller tank to treat her, I just treated the entire tank (she's by herself, so that wasn't an issue). I used quick cure from wal-mart to treat her. Keep him dark and warm to help speed up the velvet life cycle. The warm water helps mature the parasites, at which point they will begin to drop off the fish. They are photosensitive, so the darkness hinders their reproduction. The important thing to remember about velvet is that fish are already carriers of it, there are generally a few velvet parasites living on the fish at all times. The parasites just can't control unless the right circumstances are there, such as the cold, dirty water you see at the pet store, which is why, many pet store bought fish end up with it once they get home. You will also see it take hold when the fish's immune system is compromised by another illness, especially in the case of your fish where he may have already had an outbreak, his immune system was just too tired to fight it any longer and it spread.
While he's in the hospital tank, you can keep the 5 gallon dark and hot. Heat it up well past 82 degrees (unless you have live plants or tank mates). It may not hurt to put the medication directly into the 5 gallon for a day or two, but be sure to take the filter medium out, because they will counteract each other. You can keep the filter running if you want, just take out the cartridge.

I hope this helps, Let me know if you have any other questions.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #6 
sainthogan

I forgot to mention that velvet needs a fish to survive and reproduce, so in the regular tank, eventually they will die off, but keeping it dark and warm will help speed that process up.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

Thank you! I know Walmart here sells that so I will be taking a trip as soon as possible. He's in the dark, now, but I was having trouble figuring out if it was actually velvet and what I should do with the tank.. Thanks so much!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

He was acting more normal earlier but I've started salt treatments. I put his hospital tank inside his main tank since I only have one heater and was worried that the heater wouldn't properly heat a one gallon.

I'm just very nervous since I've never had to treat a fish for anything before!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #9 
kayjay89

hello im new to this forum, i think my fish has velvet too i realized it when i saw this post so i thought i might get some help on figuring out if it is velvet
here is a pic of him
Attached Images

kayjay89 is offline   Reply With Quote