Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #1 
stellar981

Unhappy Continuous problems with my new betta...

Ok... So I have only had my betta just over a month. About a week and a half after getting him, introducing him into the tank, etc - he started floating. So I came on here, and was told SBD. So before I could treat him, he must have pooped and seemed back to normal. Then I noticed he started to float after every feeding, but would go right back to normal momentarily. Someone on here said they had a fish like that, that they had to feed less because he would float often after feeding. So a couple days passed and I noticed he was floating on and off without feedings. So I decided to treat him with Epson salt. I got a 2.5 gallon tank, and did 3 tsp for each water change. I moved his heater to the small hospital tank, so the regular 10 gallon was abandoned and allowed to drop to room temp (not sure if this is a factor).. Well he was in the hospital tank for about 10 days. Around the 5th day the floating stopped completely. Since I put him in there his feeding was changed to 2 pellets a day, in the evening. Seemed to be working! So since he was better, this past weekend I decided it was time to move him back. So I did a 50% water change on the 10 gallon tank (also did water test prior to water change, which was fine - still cycling), added the heater back in, and when it was close to 80 I put him in his cup, floating in the 10 gallon tank. So he could gradually acclimate (as recommended). Once the temp was up, I reduced the water in his cup, and added some from the 10 gallon, again to acclimate him. once this was all done, I netted him, so I wouldnt get any epsom salt into the 10 gallon. Which I have to say seems extremely stressful to him!! Is there a better way? He hid for a while, and then swam around as normal, like he did before I treated him in the hospital tank. Everything seemed ok! He did have one slit in his tail fin, I assumed he did that on the heater because he kept swimming between the suction cups. (Before I moved him to the epsom tank, he tore the top fin on tank decor, which has been returned! UGH) Any how... besides his fins being a little "clamped" is what I think its called, he seemed normal. Now this morning, he is missing parts of his back fin. Such a short period of time!! So I can only guess fin rot. But why? I am starting to think this new hobby may not be my strong suit. I cannot keep this poor fish healthy! I am getting frustrated, honestly. I dont know what I am doing wrong. Could it have been because the 10 gallon was allowed to go to room temp, since I only had one heater? (I have an anubias plant in there, and a moss ball) Even tho I made sure it was back to the right temp before adding him? I really dont know anymore.. (what type of maintenance should be done on the filter??) I feel like I'm doing what I should, have done plenty of research. But this fish keeps having problems. I just lost a pet bird two weeks ago who was sick for a week, and at the same time had to treat the sick fish. It was a stressful time.. and i just dont know if I am cut out for this. Did I do something wrong here?? Anyone?
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #2 
Jessa24

It sounds like you did everything right. If he has fin rot you'll now have to treat him for that. Maybe you shoukd get a cat or a dog...fish can be a little particular. Although I hate to see you give up. Betta fish are great to have as a pet...well when they're healthy. Good luck!
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #3 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessa24 View Post
It sounds like you did everything right. If he has fin rot you'll now have to treat him for that. Maybe you shoukd get a cat or a dog...fish can be a little particular. Although I hate to see you give up. Betta fish are great to have as a pet...well when they're healthy. Good luck!
I do have cats and birds also.. a small zoo :) I just get discouraged easy.. When a cat or bird is sick, I take them to the vet. I feel like now I have to be the vet! I am not giving up... yet. I want to make him better. I don't want him to suffer. Its just a lot more work, right away.. than I thought it would be. With the stress of losing my bird also, its been a tough few weeks. Do you know the proper treatment for fin rot?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #4 
Jessa24

In it's early stages frequent water changss, keeping your tank at about 80 and aquarium salt should get rid of it. For advance fin rot you're still going to do all that above as well as an antibiotic such as Minocycline. Be sure to check your water parameters too and keep them at the normal range they should be.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #5 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessa24 View Post
In it's early stages frequent water changss, keeping your tank at about 80 and aquarium salt should get rid of it. For advance fin rot you're still going to do all that above as well as an antibiotic such as Minocycline. Be sure to check your water parameters too and keep them at the normal range they should be.
Is aquarium salt dosed the same as epsom? I was doing 1 tsp-ish per gallon. I guess he's going to have to go back to the 2.5 gallon (change 100% water every other day?). Is removing the heater from the 10 gallon and letting it go down in temp a problem? Thats what I did last time. Since I only have one heater. I tried a small heater for small tanks and it made the tank 86 degrees. So it was returned. If anyone has a suggestion for a cheaper small tank heater, i'd love to hear it. Also... netting him has appeared very stressful. Does anyone have another solution to this? If I put him in the cup, ive read not to dump the cup with old tank water, into the clean tank. But I dont see how to avoid this, unless I use a net...
Old 12-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #6 
Jessa24

I catch Splash in a cup and even though everyone rags on me about it when I put him back in his tank I just try to put him in even if some of the water in the cup gets in. I was always taught that's how you do it and the net just makes me nervous. I don't think allowing the ten gal to go down in temp would hurt it so long as it's back in the tank when you put him in there. I am not sure about the epsom salt vs. aquarium salt.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #7 
twolovers101

I use a cup, and I dont even bother with trying to net my boys, netting is WAY more stressful (on both sides). I don't think that the small amount of old water getting into the new tank is going to be all that harmful, even if there is a little salt in it. Per gallon, the tiny amount of salt that will be in that cup is hardly worth the effort and issue of netting. What would be going into that 10 gallon is a fraction of the 3 tsp you put in his hospital tank. I use this method with my 5.5 and I've never had a problem (the ghost shrimps would die if there was an issue with the salt). Also, anything that you may have added to the water with the cup will be even further reduced by water changes. No worries :)

As for the large chunks out of his tail... could you post a picture? If a large finned fish suddenly gets large bits missing from its tail, it's usually from tail-biting, which means you don't need to treat him, just keep his water clean and it'll heal up (it also means he needs more stimulation or could be stressed from the environment change)
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #8 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolovers101 View Post
I use a cup, and I dont even bother with trying to net my boys, netting is WAY more stressful (on both sides). I don't think that the small amount of old water getting into the new tank is going to be all that harmful, even if there is a little salt in it. Per gallon, the tiny amount of salt that will be in that cup is hardly worth the effort and issue of netting. What would be going into that 10 gallon is a fraction of the 3 tsp you put in his hospital tank. I use this method with my 5.5 and I've never had a problem (the ghost shrimps would die if there was an issue with the salt). Also, anything that you may have added to the water with the cup will be even further reduced by water changes. No worries :)

As for the large chunks out of his tail... could you post a picture? If a large finned fish suddenly gets large bits missing from its tail, it's usually from tail-biting, which means you don't need to treat him, just keep his water clean and it'll heal up (it also means he needs more stimulation or could be stressed from the environment change)
Thanks for both of your input!! What a relief, because I felt SO bad netting him. If I can help it, I will never use that net again. Poor fish! :(

I am actually at work right now.. so I cant get a photo now. But I will definitely tonight. Probably between 6 & 7 pm (eastern) time tonight, if you can check back for a glance. I appreciate the help. its been stressful for both me and the fish! What kind of heater do you use in your 5.5? I would prefer not to have to remove the heater when I put him in a hospital tank, but this heater seems to be the only one that has a working thermostat and doesn't cook him. When I treated him with Epsom, thankfully I let the tank sit overnight with the new heater. It would have definitely cooked him :( I knew that was a risk ahead of time, so I had to be sure before putting him in.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #9 
stellar981

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1XT19THB-g

He was too active to get a good shot of. I took video instead. Let me know if you think fin rot is a good diagnosis....
Old 12-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #10 
stellar981

I should add he is doing bubbles again like he did when I got him. I assume that means he's happy? I mean I think you can tell he is by the video! :)