Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #1 
Xeek

Feeding strategy for bottom feeders with Bettas...

I've searched around and haven't found a good answer yet. My female sorority is getting obese. Two of them are noticeably fat. The past couple of weeks I've been feeding them once a day with one day a week for a break. I put enough pellets in for each of them to have maybe 2. When I feed them frozen food I feed each girl individually with tweezers just 1.

When I feed my corydoras, crayfish, and shrimp it usually involves getting a bit of shrimp pellets and putting my arm in the tank and dropping them on the floor of the tank. I do the same with algae wafers except I break that up in a couple of pieces so the crayfish gets his own (he doesn't like to share).

The bettas are eating the food meant for the corys! In fact I'm pretty sure now they are nibbling on the algae wafers and eating that just as much as the corys. How do I feed the bottom feeders and not the bettas?

One idea was to train them to swim into a breeder box for food... but I can't keep all 6 girls in that for long. They dont get along unless they have enough space. Its a delicate balance.

On a side note:
My bettas don't have to see the food. They are smart! When they see the corys gather around they know what it looks like when corys are eating. As soon as they notice that they rush down to join. Only one of my girls is skinny, but she refuses to eat close to the other girls - shes a loner. She seems to find just enough food to stay healthy (she's an aspiring female betta model?).

Last edited by Xeek; 12-11-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

First of how deep and big is it? A turkey baster might work.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

That is one of the biggest challenges with mix species tanks and Betta....Feeding....Bettas can be such pigs...lol.....

Sometimes you can add the bottom feeder food about an hour after lights out to help keep the girls from eating too much. You can try hiding the food in place the girls can't get to as easy.

I would limit the amount you feed the corydoras shrimp pellets to half a pellet per every 2 cats every other day and on the off days feed the algae wafer and cut that down by half too.

Good luck...sometimes you just have to get creative...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Sinking food.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #5 
Xeek

Sinking food is what I already use.... not to mention I put my arm in the tank and deliver the food right to the bottom - or the bettas see it sink and chase it. I've fed my corydoras worms and brine shrimp before witha turkey baster. This doesn't help since I already do all of this.

I've tried lights out, but the bettas see all the corydoras gather (they are silver with black dots and easy to see on black substrate. The bettas dont even have to see the food, they just notice the corydoras come out and they automatically associate that with food in the area.

Well I'll think about this, until then no food in the tank for a good while.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What kind of crayfish? What kind of shrimp? What kind of Cories? How many Bettas? How big is the envirement?
Old 12-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #7 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
What kind of crayfish?
Just 1 (CPO) Dwarf Mexican Orange Crayfish. He's very docile and too small to do any damage to the fish. He keeps to himself and only appears aggressive when he's found food. He does not eat plants or dig up substrate. This typical of this species of crayfish which made him compatible in this tank. He is easy to feed, but requires his own food as he will pinch to protect it, but eventually leaves the food if bothered too much.

Quote:
What kind of shrimp?
There are 2 ghost shrimp in the tank. I originally thought they would get killed by other tank mates, but they survived and are thriving. I moved them in this tank because I divided another tank for 2 male bettas and that was no longer suitable for them. They often go to where I have placed food and watch the other fish eat it from atop the drift wood (they wait for their turn for the food). One is female and one is male. They're like a fighting couple though. They argue over food.

Quote:
What kind of Cories?
False Julii Cory Doras. Mostly males. It's hard to tell, but after studying them for a while it seems out of 8 there are 6 males. You can tell by shape and size.

Quote:
How many Bettas?
This is more complicated, pay attention here. 1 juvenile female betta in a breeder box (she eats 2-3 time per day still), 1 rather large female in another breeder box (she doesn't get along and has been in a long time-out). I may reintroduce her at some other time. 5 females loose in the tank. 1 is sick but improving.

So in total 5 loose in the tank and 2 separated in boxes. Out of that 3 are pigs, 1 is sick and isn't eating yet, and 1 is shy and only eats away from the others.

Quote:
How big is the envirement?
16 gallon Nano tank. Modified so the intake vents are covered with mesh to prevent bettas from entering the filter / heater / pump compartment. There are lots of plants (mostly large leaf plants that bettas enjoy). There is some micro sword and other swords closer to the bottom and drift wood in the center. Wisteria is taking over the top area.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #8 
djembekah

all my mid and upper level swimming fish go for food intended for my cories and pleco. the bettas did, now the angels do, not to mention zebra danios. idk how to fix over feeding except to feed less flakes and a little bit extra sinking things
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Giving pellets to the Bettas and while there eating add the sinkers.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #10 
Xeek

Quote:
Giving pellets to the Bettas and while there eating add the sinkers.
My corydoras are slow eaters, they seem to play with their food before actually putting it in their mouths. Its fun to watch. Because of that the bettas are done with t heir pellets in a millisecond. That idea won't work.