Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #1 
sainthogan

male's odd behavior

Ok, so my new male (been with us 2 weeks), has been dealing with a swim bladder issue that is SLOWLY getting better, so I'm not sure if this is because of it or not. But he does this turbo swimming thing where he pushes his nose out of the water up to his eyes, then speed swims around the tank. Then he takes a big gulp of air and goes back to swimming normally (or as normally as he can given the swim bladder issue). I have never seen a fish do this before, and I'm actually beginning to wonder if this is the cause of his swim bladder issue and why it's taking so long to get better or if he's doing this because of the swim bladder.
Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233 Try this.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #3 
sainthogan

I already filled all that out when I was asking for help with his swim bladder issue when he first arrived. He has a 3 gallon tank, filtered, heated to 78 degrees, 50% change twice weekly.
I've been treating him with epsom salts for his swim bladder issue per oldfishlady's instructions. Since he's not getting much better, I am now following her second set of directions and going to treat the tank directly.
I don't think he's had a history of being sick, I've only had him for 2 weeks.
He arrived via the post office from a user on here who was getting rid of a cull. He did not have a heat pack in his box and was probably warm until he got here and the mail bags were dumped in a pile of snow outside the post office door where he sat until they had time to unpack the bags (this is what I think caused the swim bladder issue). His water was very cold and he wasn't moving at all. He perked up as he warmed up during his acclimation process, but it was clear to me while he was still in his bag that he couldn't swim well.
He's done the turbo swimming thing since the day he arrived (he was doing it in the bag even though he couldn't move around much), so I know that nothing that I'm doing is causing it.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Peas are good.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #5 
sainthogan

He's not constipated, he poops quite well actually. Oldfishlady suggested that his swim bladder issue could be a genetic thing, but I don't know if that explains the turbo swimming thing with his nose out of the water.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
He's not constipated, he poops quite well actually. Oldfishlady suggested that his swim bladder issue could be a genetic thing, but I don't know if that explains the turbo swimming thing with his nose out of the water.
Could you ask the person who gave him to you if his/her other fish have either of these issues? If so, at least you'd know if it was a genetic thing.

Swimming with his nose of the water though.... Does he seem distressed at all? Or is it just something that he seems to enjoy doing?

(If he doesn't seem distressed, I wonder if it's some kind of "Gee, I'm a smart betta" trick that he figured out on his own to amuse himself? Maybe he's scouting for low-flying mosquitoes to zap up. )
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #7 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Could you ask the person who gave him to you if his/her other fish have either of these issues? If so, at least you'd know if it was a genetic thing.

Swimming with his nose of the water though.... Does he seem distressed at all? Or is it just something that he seems to enjoy doing?

(If he doesn't seem distressed, I wonder if it's some kind of "Gee, I'm a smart betta" trick that he figured out on his own to amuse himself? Maybe he's scouting for low-flying mosquitoes to zap up. )
I did ask him, he hasn't replied yet, but oldfishlady did mention that due to the extreme cold conditions that he was exposed to, it could also be permanent damage.
He doesn't seem distressed at all while doing it, so maybe it is a form of entertainment. My girl has taken to breaking off pieces of her plants in order to chase them, so maybe he's doing this for fun too. Who knows, I just have never seen a fish do this before. But I was wondering if the air gulping can cause a swim bladder issue, and maybe that's why it's not getting better.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #8 
flyingpony22

Well betta's do breathe directly from the air, that's why their mouth are tipped upwards and why your not supposed to fill your tank all the way up. Maybe that's what he's doing?
flyingpony22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #9 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpony22 View Post
Well betta's do breathe directly from the air, that's why their mouth are tipped upwards and why your not supposed to fill your tank all the way up. Maybe that's what he's doing?
Oh, I know that, I'm not new to this. He's got plenty of space between the surface of the water and the lid of his tank about 2 inches. I've just never seen a Betta do what he's doing. My female just goes to the surface and takes a breath and goes back to what ever she was doing. He does breath normally too, but then he does that turbo swimming thing with his nose out and then gulps the air.
I'm just trying to figure out what this is and if it's causing the swim bladder thing or is a side effect of the swim bladder.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

It may be genetic as OFL said. I currently have one that has chronic swimbladder problems and he's fine. You might want to feed him small amounts of food and feed more often like 1 to2 pellets 2 to 3 times a day and see if that helps. Also, daphnia helps with digestive issues.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote